Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
StockmanWelds
    Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:54 am

I recently opened up my owned welding shop in Shelbyville ky. I have 8 years welding experience and 8 years of fabricating experience. looking to find more work. any suggestions ?
Franz©
    Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:02 pm

Step 1 with any potential customer, make damn sure you'll get paid for your work.

Step 2 if you left another shop to go on your own, do not go after the old shop's customers. That move will get you killed fast by both the customers and the shop you left.
Be very cautious if any customers from the old shop come to you, they may have maxed out their credit with the place you left.

A lot depends on the industrial makeup of the area. Spend some time making up a line card of your abilities and capacities, print some off on decent paper, and get around town passing them out. Also put them with suppliers. Farming area, see if you can get tractor dealers to put your card up in their place. Equipment dealers generally need welding capacity they don't have in house or won't spend the money to bring under their roof. Dealers will bring you in for their welding if they can profit from it.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
It will help if you list your name and location.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Where do live and work
Near farming, city or ext

Simply put you more just welding
Most farmer can weld but they do line boring but simple to do for welder
In the city most food and retail

FAB work is low pay as ever one with 120 v mig welder doing the work and or isunlicensed too

Dave
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Anywhere they sell steel and other building materials Go talk to the mgr and loading dock - forklift guys-drivers.
Ask them over for a beer. Let them see what you do. Word of mouth is everything. Check out some lawnmower shops and the like too. Landscape nurseries. Where there is a redneck, there will be things to repair.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Antorcha wrote:Anywhere they sell steel and other building materials Go talk to the mgr and loading dock - forklift guys-drivers.
Ask them over for a beer. Let them see what you do. Word of mouth is everything. Check out some lawnmower shops and the like too. Landscape nurseries. Where there is a redneck, there will be things to repair.
hey' I resemble that remark :lol: :| :|
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
bkfab
    Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:19 pm

Find your niche and what market the good paying customers are in and go after it. I never thought I would gear my business towards marine fab when I started but I found that I love aluminum and stainless and the customers are generally friendly and pay well.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Word of mouth is the best way to build a solid business. Under promise over perfom. IE if a customer tells you it’s ok the way it looks, polish it up a little more. It’s your reputation that will get you repeat customers.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Here is few ways to steel shutters this is good for Forrest fires and protests (today's homes all plastic window frames and falling rocks)
Earthquake good strong tables (to hide under).

Dave
StockmanWelds wrote:I recently opened up my owned welding shop in Shelbyville ky. I have 8 years welding experience and 8 years of fabricating experience. looking to find more work. any suggestions ?