Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Currently I am working two part time jobs. One a production and one a small mom and pop shop. I began an “internship” at the production facility to gain experience and have a foot in a door. As time went on I came to realize the substantial problems in the facility of every shape size and quantity. I get told every day I am there that I need to leave as soon as possible. I would like to quit in about two months and switch full time to my other part time job. My question is what’s some advice on quitting to leave a good taste in everyone’s mouth and not burning bridges and what’s too short of employment to quit?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Demented
    Sun May 06, 2018 11:51 pm

Handshakes, goodbyes, still giving 100% until your last day, and not leaving with burnouts and middle fingers in the air usually is the way to go to not burn bridges, and just being completely honest that you want to move on to a new opportunity.
"Your welds should sound like bacon. If your welds smell like bacon, you're on fire." - Uncle Bumblefuck (AvE)
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

You don’t have to tell them what you think of them. Just thank them for the opportunity. If they ask tell them have another opportunity you want to pursue.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

I agree that leaving can be a delicate deal.

I prefer to be honest and tell people my plans ahead of time. Sometimes that works great, sometimes it doesn't go over well.

But, I find it's less stressful for me because I've been honest and upfront. Can't control how they react unfortunately, but you know you've done nothing wrong so it's easier to shake off if it goes south.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

As above..

Be upfront about wanting to stop working there in 2 months time. (which IMHO is a decent lead-time for them too..)

Be open to using the 2 months to continue working, but also perhaps offer to train others or transfer your specific knowledge/skills so once you're 'off' they should just keep rollin'

Everyone happy :)

Bye, Arno.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Just give them 2 weeks notice, work hard until the last day, and be grateful to them for the work opportunity.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

In this industry, is it standard to give a formal two weeks notice in letter or just verbal with whoever you need to tell?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:In this industry, is it standard to give a formal two weeks notice in letter or just verbal with whoever you need to tell?
Nick, if I was working for a large company I would probably submit in writing, a small company where you know the owner you could give a verbal notice. Either way, unless the company has specific instructions in their employee manual I think you'll be okay, if you feel funny about a verbal notice then give them a well worded, but brief letter.
Richard
Website
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

cj737 wrote:Just give them 2 weeks notice, work hard until the last day, and be grateful to them for the work opportunity.
what he said, and don't be worried if they are a little hurt, I had one manager running around telling people he would never hire me again..... I worked for him 2 more times and he has tried to hire me back several times since I left 22 years ago. if I have learned anything in life it is that if you value your work above what your paid for it you will always be welcomed back. when I was young and working for just a paycheck I would drag up at the drop of a hat and was always called when they had a spot open, people in the trades still respect hard work.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

cj737 wrote:Just give them 2 weeks notice, work hard until the last day, and be grateful to them for the work opportunity.
I agree with this. There is no dishonesty is just giving the respected two weeks notice. It is not your problem if there are hard feelings.