Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey there,

Just wondering how much the fees or dues are for the Unions in the North America. Mine in Australia are around $40 bucks /month.

From Mick
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Heh. Thats like askin what the sales tax is.

Every LOCAL union will have differant dues. Note not every union-each local levies its own dues(I call em taxes, cause thats what they are). Mine are 25 dollars a month plus a dollar to each fund, and theres three funds, so 28 dollars a month BASE. Add 5 dollars for every retired member that passes on during the month (death tax if you will, dont know exactly what they call it) average 1-2 of those a month. So your pushin 40 bucks a month. Once a year we have like a 25 dollar building maintenance levy, think thats every april. And of course you have your "working assessment" or union income tax, which in our local is 2.5 percent of your gross.

For an example, our contract (last time I worked anyway) was 37 dollars an hour on the check. After all the dues and fees, I figured I was taking home about 30. Thats BEFORE government taxes, but that includes 3 dollars an hour vacation pay, direct deposited into a savings account for you.

THEN you go to traveling-you have to pay your home locals dues PLUS your traveler's fee to work in the local(again, dont know the exact term for it). This can be anywhere from 5 dollars to over 100.

Answer your question? :)

And the best part is, every local, at least in my union, the UA, is differant! Differant deductions, working assessments, vacation pay, etc... So a local might pay 40 bucks an hour and you take home 25, or they may pay 35 but you take home 35.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,
Wow that is a lot to get your head around. I spose it takes all kinds to make this world go round.

Thanks for the Info.
Mike.
kermdawg

Ya believe me, I wish ours was a simple cut and dry 40 bucks a month. When you look at your pay check and see 10 deductions with abbreviations and you have no clue whos got their paws in your money, it sucks.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Our Dues here in Canada for the UA is as follows:

Regular dues - $89.54 per month
Field dues - $12.00 per week

Total for a 4 week month is $137.54, 5 week months is $149.54 per month.

Note: This is based on Foreman rate. Regular Dues is equal to 2 hours pay per month. Everyone pays the Field Dues.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
kermdawg

You still gotta pay your dues when your out of work right? Or do you have a reduced due deal like the apprentices get.

What local you out of?
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Why join a union? If you are a certified welder with the proper credentials, can you join a company and work without being in the union?

After reviewing everyones comments, I don't understand why you need a union. :!:

Wob
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
kermdawg

Why join a union? If you are a certified welder with the proper credentials, can you join a company and work without being in the union?

After reviewing everyones comments, I don't understand why you need a union.

Wob
Thats a good question Wob. Im not a recruiter for the union so im not gonna sit here and spout off on and on about how great unions are. They have their positives and negatives just like everything else.
You can join a company and work without being in the union.

The main reason why most people join the union is the pay(lets be honest). In most areas of the country, the union workers are the highest paid or near the highest paid, have good or near best benefits, and offer things like training for free or dirt cheap, pension, vacation pay, etc. Its also easier to keep up your weld certs. You usually have access to a weld shop to practice, for little or no cost when your out of work.
My reason for sticking with the union, even when times are tough, is the benefits for my family. My health insurance is damn good, and dirt cheap. Thats collective bargaining. Although we're damn near all out of work, and everyone across the country is getting pay cuts and bullshit like that, we just finished negotiating a new CBA(contract), which included a 2.50 raise. Thats another thing about working union- you always know what your pay is gonna be, and you never have to ask for a raise.

You dont really -need- a union, you -want- a union. They also go to bat for ya if you ever have any disputes with your company. And yes I have had to talk to the steward a couple of times.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Kermdawg,
I am out of Local 787 which is the local for all of Ontario for Refrigeration & HVAC.
I will be in Vegas in a couple of weeks for the 38th Convention!

Yes, you still pay dues when you are out of work, but it can be at a reduced rate. Your description of why be union is pretty accurate. You don't have to be, but it makes for better work conditions, pay, and benefits in most cases.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
kermdawg

No shit! I got a buddy thats friends with the Executive Vice President, I might be headin over myself :)
USPSAPepperPopper
    Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:42 pm

I am a union carpenter/millwright in the St. Louis, MIssouri area. Journeyman scale is $34.63. The benefits package is over $10/hr. Health insurance alone is over $6/hr.

Our monthly dues is $23.

Now, what comes off our check stubs is 3%, that's called dues check off.

Here in the St. louis area the goal for each plan year is 24 million man hours.

Let me say that one more time: 24 million man hours.

I have no idea how many apprentices we have or how many journeyman work like an inside the shop scale or work residential framing houses. So let's just say that the average hourly wage is $25.

Take $25 times 24 million man hours.

= $600,000,000

Okay, now take 3% of that

= $18,000,000

That is a lot of money!

I have only worked a grand total of 8 weeks this year.

Now take a look at what my union "business agents" are making:

http://www.unionfacts.com/local/employees/2637/CJA/0/

I bet I won't even see $40,000 this year.

My best year was two years ago when I made $63K.

The last job I was on I got laid off after 10 days . The people they kept working were the business agent's sons. Nepotism is alive and well in union circles.

I am looking at other opportunities.

Why should my 3% go to people who aren't going to get me work?

Or a better question is why are so many of them making $90K plus a year for doing what?