Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
marshal
    Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:00 am

I got an associates degree in Welding Tech. in the 80's and have only done some MIG and stick welding since then so I'm close to starting over. I would like to get a good welding job which will probably be in a factory doing MIG or TIG. Has anyone had any experience with Lincoln's welding school for MIG it is one week 30 classroom hours for around $500.00. I was thinking this would be my best way to get a really strong base and chance to pass the welding tests some jobs require in the shortest time. If I were to go to a junior college it would take 8-10 weeks. The tuition and cheap hotel cost is a drag but I think this might get me the best baseline to get started into the field. At school I did bend tests in all positions with 3/8 steel with stick and MIG but that was literally in the last millenium. I welcome your advice on this matter. Thanks very much, Marshal.
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

It's my impression that good paying factory jobs are all but gone, a relic of the past.

I can only rely on my own experience, but every job I have ever had wanted me to pass a stick test before I tested in any other process, so you might want to try to specialize in that.
(Example:I have had about 11 welding jobs, taken 3 mig tests, 2 fluxcore test, and and 12 stick tests. If you cant tell I didnt get every job I tested for)

But lincoln is a school with a great reputation, and going there as opposed to your average tech school will prolly help you get your foot into more doors than anything else.

But try to go for the stick training.

good luck,
-Rick
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I can't speak for the 1 week MIG class other than that I recently completed their 6 week Stick course and 4 week basic pipe (stick) class and they were very well done. I will most likely go back in the spring for the MIG, TIG, and Alloys classes. I would give the Manager (Joe Kolasa) a call and relate your situation to him. He will honestly tell you which program is right for you. He is a great guy!

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
Tom O
    Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:28 pm

Rick and Ultralow are spot on, get the SMAW first.