Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
weldtex
    Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:28 am

Howdy folks, Seeking information as to what it really takes to get started welding in the oilfield. I live in a very small farm community supposedly in the early stages of turning from cotton fields to oilfields. Rigs are indeed steadily appearing on the horizon as predicted. Decided I better try and get in on some decent pay for a change so I made the rounds out to a few rigs today sniffing around for general work. Most gave me a phone number or address for the main office in the big city. I have no experience in the oilfield so I inquired about any and every job that might be available either directly or indirectly. When I mentioned to one tool pusher that I had apprenticed in an oilfield welding shop looong ago he asked if I might consider a welding job. To which I quickly replied "Damn straight". Left my number while he does some checking as this was the only rig around that hires on location. Question I have is...Was the man serious? Is it that easy to get your foot in the door? Shouldnt I have some serious schooling? certifications? Apprenticeship? A bad ass $30,000 dually diesel truck with a $20,000 lincoln on back? Though I do love and have welding experience. I was under the impression any welding work on a rig would be flat out of the question without first having one hell of a welders resume or at least lots of general oilfield rig experience, luck and or connections. Just want to clarify before I go piss in a cup for that job as deck hand cuzz if there is the slightest chance I might be able to land a good paying welding job in the oilfield straight away then that would definately be my preference and would like to know more. definately see a golden opportunity for a booming welding business smack dab in the middle of this little oil boom since there are currently zero real welders within a fifty mile radius of here. Any general advice or comments very much appreciated.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

I think he took your number just to get you out of there.

Just my opinion.

Regards M J Mauer Andover, Ohio
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
rmallen01
    Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:13 am

The Toolpusher may have had serious intentions but he cannot hire you as a welder. it's not his department welders work in. rig welders work out out of the maintanence and fab shops. In order for you to get a job working on a rig in any oilfield is to go to the company that owns the rig and go through there recruiting department, unfortunatly most oilfield welding jobs are union and you will have to figure out what union local is providing the welders and it may be different unions depending on what departments are hiring, (ironworkers, pipefitters,international union of operating enginners) most all big oil companies do all there hiring from recruiting companies which will cost you money for the information to apply for the position. I left the oilfields in 1994 after the exxon mobile merger when every thing got more complicated. Even after going through the recruiting process you will still have to take all the required welding tests and pass a drug and alcohol test then if you get hired you may have to work as an apprentice or helper to a senior welder until he or she signs off on you skills and abilities. It is difficult to get in and you have to put alot into it but it is definitely worth it.....
weldtex

Mike wrote:I think he took your number just to get you out of there.

Just my opinion.

Regards M J Mauer Andover, Ohio
Got lots of experience welding and or working in the Texas oilfield do ya? If so please elaborate on your experience a little as it may prove helpful to some of us more ignorant folks. Plus might save tool pushers ect valuable time having to deal with pesky idiots like me.
weldtex

rmallen01 Thanks for the honest reply which pretty much answers my question fully and as I had assumed. Yes to clarify I do understand this is not the job of the tool pusher. He told me that himself but gave me the impression he knew of a specific need gave me his number and offered to pass my info along as he did not currently need hands in his department. I merely mentioned workin as welders helper in the oilfield previosly Thats all. Sparked my interest & Just looking to learn more about the normal hiring process ect. Anybody out there with direct experience here in Texas? I assume the process may vary slightly depending on the area. I am more than willing to go through whatever process, schooling, testing necassary ect so long as it is feasable for me. In other words the first goal here is to get solid work as quickly as possible. But I do not want to start a job as a rookie in one area if I can just about as easily start as a rookie in another. From what you told me rmallen01 the prospect is unlikely but possible even in your area. Thanks again for the helpful info.