Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

This is a short term opportunity with a consistent chance for more in the near future.

I need an experienced TIG welder in a climate controlled shop, this particular job is 18 gauge Mild steel. Only test will be visual, cash pay, flexible hours, finish grinding is preferred but not a requirement.

Pay is anywhere between $18 - $200 per piece which will equate to $18 to $25 an hour (depending on your speed calculated by how long it takes me to finish one, (no unrealistic weld estimator programs).

Future jobs include Stainless, and aluminum anywhere from 20 gauge to 3/8". Main rules, no alcohol no drugs while working and you fix your own mistakes.

If interested leave a reply and I will get back to you.
Last edited by drizzit1aa on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

slightly off topic,
but is this sort of thing common in USA?
just asking because "your responsible for your own mistakes" is illegal over here. just wondering how it rolls over there.
tweak it until it breaks
drizzit1aa

tweake wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:46 pm slightly off topic,
but is this sort of thing common in USA?
just asking because "your responsible for your own mistakes" is illegal over here. just wondering how it rolls over there.
Guess I could have been more precise on that point but since I can't amend a post once I submit it I am stuck with it (Just ran over the post again, it let me amend it). This would be considered sub-contract work, I am just starting out so I don't have the paperwork or understanding to implement the paperwork for the 1099 (IRS Tax form for sub-contractors) nor do I have enough work to hire someone pertinently so I just pay cash for now so taxes are all up to the welder to figure out. Although I wouldn't let someone work on something I haven't seen they could do (visual test) I know mistakes happen in which that person would need to be able to fix their own mistakes. An extreme example to farther this, I just had a guy come down, I watched him run a bead. Not the greatest but figured once he got his hand in it he would be okay since everything gets ground flat by the company I work with anyways. I walk him through how I have found the fastest way to tack them up, when to and how to put on the chill plate, watched him tack it, then let him have it with the understanding to tell me when he got to the long flat butt weld. It takes me 1 hour and 3 minutes to tack and weld, 2 hours later after seeing sparks come from the other side of the divider from a TIG.
IMG_2634.jpg
IMG_2634.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 12517 times
Since I may have to pay for the material and labor for any loses (haven't had one till now) I could be out around 150 bucks since this is unfixable, or loose the customer (my only one for now) all together, then I don't have a job either (can't tell from pic. but it's bowed inward around 3/8")
IMG_2633.jpg
IMG_2633.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 12517 times
he didn't stay for a second one nor would I have let him have another one. This is the one I showed him and he said he could do it.
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 12517 times
Given I get 23 bucks to do one, after paying a welder 18 I get 5 bucks for weld wire, gas, electricity and wear and tear on the Dynasty 400 I am still paying for. As you can imagine I loose money on the ones I don't weld but it needs to get done to satisfy the customer. If he had welded enough to equate 150 on his end I WOULDN'T HAVE, NOT PAID HIM for what he had already done. Honest pay for honest work and I expect nothing more than what I can do myself but will except a little less.
Last edited by drizzit1aa on Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Yeah, dont know about New Zealand but I woulda steered clear of a job ad like that, just from experience with how it sounded.
Great explaination though, it gets frustrating finding good keen clean help.
What sort gaurd is that? If its being ground do you have to tig? 100% inductance on a a short circuit mig 20 volt, 6 m/s or so make that job paid quick. Minimum distort if you tune it right. Light anti spatter film first.
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:40 am Yeah, dont know about New Zealand but I woulda steered clear of a job ad like that, just from experience with how it sounded.
What sort gaurd is that? If its being ground do you have to tig? 100% inductance on a a short circuit mig 20 volt, 6 m/s or so make that job paid quick. Minimum distort if you tune it right. Light anti spatter film first.
By guard I assume you mean the chill plate? It's 1" plate aluminum I had. (Only had enough left for 2, boo) Only MIG I have is a Miller 220 Multimatic. I can run a decent bead in any position with short arc MIG dual shield I can let out a strong exhale to remove the flux) but your talking Greek when you say "100% inductance on a a short circuit mig) lol and since it's only 18 gauge there can't be very much if any distortion or by the time they grind it flat there wouldn't be any material left not to mention the extra time it would take them for the extra grinding. For example I get some aluminum housings that are 6 feet long with a 3mm (I get it around 2-0) tolerance this company is pretty strict. Guess since I have one I can try it on now, I will, thanks for the heads up!!
Gdarc21

Yeah sorry, inductance is a setting on some mig machines that basically takes the sputter out of short arc. Most machines are set at factory anyway but other can be adjusted. Up for smoother etc. Its a feature thats helpful if you have it but not essential if you dont. Only 1 of mine have it.
Does the join have to be on centre. A corner weld might be a quicker join than a butt weld if its going to be ground off?
It looks good anyways.
By gaurd I meant part, I figured it must of been a gaurd for a spindle for something. Just a guess.
Hope it goes well.
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:31 am Yeah sorry, inductance is a setting on some mig machines that basically takes the sputter out of short arc. Most machines are set at factory anyway but other can be adjusted. Up for smoother etc. Its a feature thats helpful if you have it but not essential if you dont. Only 1 of mine have it.
Does the join have to be on centre. A corner weld might be a quicker join than a butt weld if its going to be ground off?
It looks good anyways.
By gaurd I meant part, I figured it must of been a gaurd for a spindle for something. Just a guess.
Hope it goes well.
Got ya, the print says it's a battery box, and the supervisor told me it drops into a hole that is already there with a "tight tolerance" so ya, it has to be flat, square and dimensionally correct or slightly under O.D. I have been outside messing with it. Ground everything I could down, clamped the holy sh** out of it and ran a continuous bead at 15.5 volts at 200 WFS. It got enough penetration to unlock what he did, ground it down and with the help of a dead blow plastic hammer I got the grind even. Still not good enough to pass their inspection but I'll point it out and let them decide. As far as the inductance goes I guess Miller set it fairly good because I get no spatter of consequence.
Since this has been more of a discussion than a job posting I will throw up some pic.s when I am done. That's not saying I don't appreciate the heads up on how the posting was worded. Thanks Just hope someone gets through this and applies, lol.
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:31 am Yeah sorry, inductance is a setting on some mig machines that basically takes the sputter out of short arc. Most machines are set at factory anyway but other can be adjusted. Up for smoother etc. Its a feature thats helpful if you have it but not essential if you dont. Only 1 of mine have it.
It looks good anyways.
Hope it goes well.
Attachments
IMG_2638.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 12495 times
IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 12495 times
IMG_2639.jpg
IMG_2639.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 12495 times
Gdarc21

Not much more than a bee's d$%k under that :) Any quicker?
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 am Not much more than a bee's d$%k under that :) Any quicker?
Much quicker, but they wont like it. The TIGED ones are straight up flat with no break through to the inside like they want it. I tried to tell them a little grinding on the inside and a full pin weld will last forever, with the way they want itover time the flex will break the weld. They have been in business for 15 years and they know how they want it. ... So they get it.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

There does come a point where the cost of over welding doesn’t pay. If the partial part lasts 15 years then that’s way past most warranty on even new stuff.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
drizzit1aa

Poland308 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:17 pm There does come a point where the cost of over welding doesn’t pay. If the partial part lasts 15 years then that’s way past most warranty on even new stuff.
True Enough
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

Gdarc21 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:40 am Yeah, dont know about New Zealand but I woulda steered clear of a job ad like that, just from experience with how it sounded.
yeah even here you avoid those ones.
but just a poorly worded add. just need a sub contractor for a short run. its really handy to know your local subbies.

over here we get a lot of one man bands who take on to much work, so they get an employee in but treat them like a sub contractor.
its illegal but they try it on, typically ripping young fellas off.
tweak it until it breaks