Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
CupWalk
    Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:11 am

It surprises me how many negative comments arise about pay and lack of jobs, maybe I am out of touch.

I have a small job shop in San Diego and can not find suitable help to save my life or satisfy my customers. I recently lost a young guy that I had working with me for a couple of years as he decided to go back to school and get his math degree. This is a three man shop currently operated by me alone and I am swamped. I have tried Craigslist and a few others and can not believe the responses.
Most have never worked with metal at all. Some couldn't get through the door because it seems there are issues with reading a tape measure ( Cheater tapes are thrown in the nearest trash can) Some don't do decimals. Some want to cut everything with a portaband because that big cord on that big saw makes them nervous. Lots of ex-felons, but fortunately we do some government work, mostly Navy projects and they are picky about who touches their stuff and who gets on base. I have had a few guys that say they are interested in learning the trade and I am not totally against teaching someone. I set up a meeting and a guy, he shows up with tattoos high on his neck and on the backs of his hands. We are trying to look smart here and if you cant figure out that the ink on your neck might not be a good decision how are we going to convince our customers that we can make good decisions concerning their projects.

So I meet a guy at the local welder supply and he convinces me he is my man. I agree to his terms, I need someone. He wants $25.00 an hour and I tell him I'll see him next week to start work. No show, no call? I must have said something that didn't fit his requirements.

We do not do any structural work, mostly construction contractor support with brackets, mounting plates and some handrail projects. Lots of custom furniture for commercial use, restaurant decor and fixtures. Loads of ship parts, sonar mounts etc. No certs required just good MIG and TIG welding practices and super clean work. I have tried local ROP school and they are geared toward stick welding and ship building and I understand the student wanting to go that way with steady work and benefits.

Thanks for reading my rant and thanks for the web space. Any suggestion on where to find some help is greatly appreciated.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome aboard.

One place I can suggest to post this work where you will find qualified hands is the Industrial Projects Report forum:

http://www.industrialprojectsreport.com ... efault.asp

Put it on the "hot projects" side of the forum. Expect to catch grief, as the forum is aimed at travelling contractors. However, the economy has been hard on many of us, and there is a surplus of industrial types in CA who cannot afford to travel. For every "flame" comment, you'll probably get two calls. The industrial types have the work ethic and skills, but you'll need to screen for personal traits. We come in all types, from clean-cut boy scout types to tatooed, long-haired ex-cons, and everything in between.

If you're not comfortable posting a shop job on a traveller's forum (and taking the abuse), cut and paste your ad here, and I'll introduce it (I'm a senior member there).

If there's overtime available, it will interest more people.

BTW, don't be so quick to toss those "cheater" tapes. While I'd make sure every candidate can read a regular tape, to prove he's not a complete idiot, I've got a "cheater" tape in my box. Why? Because the numbered side of the tape is graduated to 32nds, allowing me to interpolate to 64ths, and easier to read than my Starrett rule.

Steve S.
e6010slickk
    Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:06 am

why don't you train someone then
elunatic
    Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 am

@CupWalk

If you still have a job opening I would be interested. I am proficient in MIG and TIG (steel, aluminum, and stainless).
Please send me an email if you are interested. ericrossmotorsports@gmail.com
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm afraid this thread is dead....

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024