Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
JacSto84
    Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey,

My name is Jacob and I am 25 yrs old. To make a long story short when I was 18 I got into some trouble and needless to say I now have a bad background. I have to wait 4 more years before I can get my record expunged. My mother`s husband helps to run the ALLIED VOCATIONAL TRAINING SCHOOL in Richmond, California. This program is centered for people who like me have had trouble in their lives and have messed up. I am now going to church and am trying to find work. I dont have many options but I think this welding thing might be worth a try. The class costs $200 dollars and doesnt start until August 1st. Does anyone know my chances of getting work if I pass this school and got certified. $200 is A LOT of money when you dont have it! But I am saving as much as I can... Can someone give me a clue as to whether or not I should do this? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

Jacob
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

It is definately worth it if that is what you want to do. This is a profession that picks the person because this is not for everyone. Being out on the west coast is a good thing too. There is work out there. What king of certification does this school offer?? That is where the money is. Especially in pipeline, aerospace, and nuclear.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Weigh your options. good paying work is often hard to find for people with a record, with the trades being an exception. Still, right now I dont think a good welding job will jump out of the newspaper and bite you. Around here(va) a guy out of school, pulling all the right strings, will make close to as much as a veteren welder, maybe 12-17 dollers an hour(as opposed to 14-25 an hour per experiance). My experiance was that keeping work is going to be the hardest thing, and not being first on the layoff list.

two years ago I made 35 thousand in about 9 months of work. last year I made about 24 thousand in 10 months. it comes and goes.

But weigh your options, welding is by no means the best proffesion in the world, but whats important is knowing whether or not its the best choice for you, in your life. Is this enough money for you? Are you willing to travel? Are you ok being tired most nights? Do you realize you will spend hundreds and hundreds of dollers on tools and ppe?

Most importantly, do you really have a choice? Cuz options are pretty slim no matter what your criminal record is like.

So think about it like that

-Rick