Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
bankswelding
    Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:31 pm

I am new to the forum, just registered a few minutes ago. I may be "out of line" by posting this here, if so please forgive me.
I owned and operated a small (one horse) welding and fabrication business for 10 years. In past year and a half I lost my largest customers due to "buy out" and change of operations on their part and I had to close due to lack of work. I got a part time job with the local community college, however it is part time w/ no summer work and in order to stay I am required to earn an Associates Degree.
I am 54 years old. My thoughts are to polish my 6G skills, get certified, find a job to get some good experience then maybe set up my own "Rig" and find wirl as an independant contractor.

Will it work, am I too old, what do you pros think???
Sincerely,
Phillip
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

The problem is, the reason you shop went out of bussiness was a bad ecnomy right? this will have affected all other industries as well. my advice would be to be very cautious spending your money on a rig. Maybe trying to keep your job as (a teacher?) and doing side work with a conservativley bought rig might be a good bet.

thats my 2 cents
bankswelding

Thanks for the input. You are right about the economy and my business. However, I do live in an ecomomic "Dead Zone"

The problem with the teaching job is having to work on the Associates Degree. Also, a part of the college's program brings High School Jrs and Seniors in to a welding program. Most are there to keep form taking other classes, they do not behave, they do not want to learn, they vandalize the shop (and my personal vehicle). The college has no dicipline system in place to control them and I am beginning to have homicidal thoughts toward them. (only kidding)

Actually I have a mobile welding unit, I just never knew how to "market" it and get into serious work with it. What I have is a Miller Bobcat 225 Welder w/ about 400 ft of leads, Oxy/Acetlene cutting set up w/ 150 ft of hose, an engine driven air compressor and grinders and other tools all mounted on a tandem axle trailer.

Could I use this as my rig and where do I start looking for work for it????
Thanks,
Phillip
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

You can do plenty with that rig. Depending on your experience level, I would start hitting some excavating companies, some landscaping companies, local garages , local machine shops, scrap yards. That's if you can perform repairs on heavy equipment. What is your experience level and what part of the country are you in ??
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
joelwelder
    Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:39 pm

bankswelding. i wish you luck it sounds like you are in a bit of a bind the fellow who submitted your first reply made a great point i am a union btj and rig pipeline welder and my truck has been parked in driveway since october right now economy is so bad no ones paying for anything to be done good luck with your venture
bankswelding

I appreciate the "reality check" I guess I was hoping things were better than they are. On a brighter note, I have seen on TV that they expect about 60,000 more people to move into Jacksonville, NC in the near future. That should create some serious construction work. perhaps I can tap into some of that.

Thank you for your input and advice, it's always good to get good information before making a serious decision.

Sincerely,
Phillip
billyolds
    Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 pm

i dont think i can add much more than whats been said other than maybe try posting ads on craigslist/search for work. Its worth a shot.
best of luck.
It is what it is...
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Are you adverse to working for another company? Check with your local pipefitters/ironworkers/millwrights unions and see if they have anything going on. If you got 5 years experience most unions dont require you go through the aprenticeship, they start you off as a journeyman. Its worth a shot if nothing else.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
pro mod steve
    Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am

Economy is shit. Pardon my french I finished tig welding school and by the luck of the draw fell into good tig work with a customer we did maintenance on thier service vehicles. All of a sudden the tig work stopped and I made a personal aperiance at his shop to see what was the problem in fear I was to high in price or low quality work. He said the work stopped coming into his shop. He said he was pleased with my work and quick turaround time but he didn't have anything for me.
OrbitalX
    Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:16 pm

bankswelding wrote:I am new to the forum, just registered a few minutes ago. I may be "out of line" by posting this here, if so please forgive me.
I owned and operated a small (one horse) welding and fabrication business for 10 years. In past year and a half I lost my largest customers due to "buy out" and change of operations on their part and I had to close due to lack of work. I got a part time job with the local community college, however it is part time w/ no summer work and in order to stay I am required to earn an Associates Degree.
I am 54 years old. My thoughts are to polish my 6G skills, get certified, find a job to get some good experience then maybe set up my own "Rig" and find wirl as an independant contractor.

Will it work, am I too old, what do you pros think???
Sincerely,
Phillip
Phillip , Your not too old. Sounds like you have a passion for welding, as do all expert welders. I agree with the guy who recommended listing your mobile welding service on craigs list. Good advice and cheap advertising. If you do hire in with a piping company, just do what you do best and create a good working relationship with supervision. Most of the senior welders make the best rod room attendents or tool room attendents because of their welding and tool knowledge. You seem to have excellent communication skills which is a huge asset for you. Explore both avenues, you'll be fine.