Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
mindburn
    Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:41 pm

I decided to learn how to weld last August and enrolled in a welding tech program at a local college. I never welded before that [ever], and decided to put forth effort since I paid for the program out of pocket. I take my 6G SMAW test on Wednesday. I've done at least 5 that pass visual inspection, so I feel pretty good about it overall.

If I pass it, then I will have a 6G qualification and no actual work experience with welding. Every well paying job available demands several years experience. So, theoretically would having the qualification serve about the same as none, in terms of turning in a resume` and hoping for a phone call? Should I really sweat this test, especially as a newbie?

What does it really mean to a potential employer if you can pass a 6G test, but have no experience--other than two semesters at school?
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Mindburn.

For the Employer, it may mean many things.

After having completed a one course at a technical college, it would mean that the Employee would have already been introduced to: welding safety, technology, following a wps, welding drawings and symbols, etc.. The Employer knows that he will not have to spend time and money doing the same.

The Employee will be asked to weld out a qualification joint or joints. That test is important. The Employer will understand about the Employee's potential, by watching how the test is prepared, welded out and cleaned up.

=====

I suggest you rob as much as you can with your eyes and ears during that first job. Even just interpass cleaning for another welder, passing electrodes, etc. is a way to learn new skills. Anticipating the needs of those around you is important.

Tanks.
Alexa
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200