Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
ironheaded
    Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:43 am

looking for welding jobs in florida, and man it's tough right now, im working 20 -35 hours a week for a small steel erection and fabrication company out of tampa fl. right now making 17$ per hour, im from illinois and i was a leadman for a large contractor there for 6 years and i was working tons of hours traveling and making 23$ an hour so florida has been a tough adjustment for me im considering a big move some where back up north maybe even the north west like, the dakotas or iowa or nebraska, i worked in minnesota and south dakota in 2008 and there seemed to be a lot of work up there, and the jobs pay more any one have any advice? or know of any welding, millwright, or ironwork jobs in florida or anywhere? any help would be greatly appriciated and i will definately try to post some jobs that i have seen on this site i believe that through, networking with eachother us blue collar guys will survive! "this ain't my first rodeo"
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

I'm under the impression that florida is a bad state to work in. Yankee states and Minnosota in particuler are supposed to be working mans states, whereas florida is more of a rich-man and retirees state. Keep among your own and you'll be better off.

But I think zachery still has work in florida, although the wages are still pretty bad. Its a nationwide powerplant building/shutdown type gig.

look'em up www.zachry.com

-rick
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

yeah, i hear tell them yankee states pay pretty good but it's slow here too. in astoria queens there a big con. edison powerhouse job going on right now. there's a couple boilers the size of apartment buildings being barged in. from where i work (riker's island) i can see the welders assembling them while i drive over the bridge. i thought they were some kind of dock houses 'till i saw that they were made out of piping. good luck!
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

I dont know about over on the east coast, but my buddy just got a job at a refinery their puttin up in southern illonois. Its a Union job though, dont know if thats a factor for ya or not.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
billyolds
    Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:06 pm

ironheaded,
I know that a few friends from school are getting picked up by millwrights and working up north of tampa in crystal river and a few out on the east coast. Are you certified? The shipyards in tampa are generally hiring but require a super clean background check and im not sure ud make more than you are now starting out there. My buddies up in crystal river started at 26.67 and were fresh outta school with a 6g pipe cert.
It is what it is...
kermdawg

just saw a job posting for a 6g pipe welder in las vegas with 5 years experience non union. Its a headhunter company, tradesmen international. If that helps anyone out :) Oh ya, and in Nevada you have to have an OSHA 10 card to work on a construction site, anyone comin here.
jwmacawful

after 16 years with the ironworkers and all the ups and downturns in the outside construction field i decided to try to work for the municipality where i live. i took and passed the civil service welding test and was placed high on the hiring list. they pay union scale and these jobs are almost layoff proof. i'm in my 24th. year here. to anyone tired of the feast or famine of the construction trade, this is a great alternative!
kermdawg

Im glad to hear your local government aint layin people off. ALL the local gov. jobs around here are cutting back HARD. My buddy worked for the City of Las Vegas for 15 years, and you know they layoff based on seniority. Anyone with less than 12 years with the city, gone. He got lucky.
jwmacawful

i said almost layoff proof. in the health and hospitals corporation there laying off almost 50 carpenters. you were 100% right about laying off by seniority. last hired first fired. so far no welders have been let go. knock wood!
kermdawg

Ya good luck bro. I'm going back to school myself, as their are no almost no pipefitting/plumbing jobs in Las Vegas right now. But there is some work on the horizon, just waitin for the damn banks to fund it.
jwmacawful

there's guys from down south working here on a pipe project. the hall is pretty empty so maybe things are turning around finally. hope you find the big job! good luck!!