Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

for anyone living in the nyc area;
the new york city dept correction is looking for welder/fabricators. must have nyc dept buildings 1st class welder license. nyc fire dept cert fitness for oxy acet torch operations. a driver license. at least 5 years experience. no felony convictions and able to pass a drug screen and a c.b.i. also must live within the nyc 5 boroughs.
jwmacawful

things must be looking up with the economy. nobody interested in a job that pays 50. an hour??
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Nobody's interested in 50 layers of artificial bureaucratic bullsh!t qualifications for a job.

Gimme a weld test, and put me to work...

I won't jump through those hoops for $50. I won't jump through those hoops, period. I've made $38 take-home without even peeing, or passing a craft test, in a place with one-fifth the cost of living.

You're looking for a local hand, accustomed to the bureaucracy and hassle for this job. It's unique to the region, and the rest of us won't play.

Steve S
jwmacawful

steve, i'm not looking for anyone, just passing on some 411 to help someone else.
jwmacawful

jwmacawful wrote:steve, i'm not looking for anyone, just passing on some 411 to help someone else.

I understand, and wasn't intending to put anything "on" you. I was making a general comment on the nature of work in NYC and the metro coast, versus much of the rest of the country.

I probably overstated my opinion, because I've worked in New York State near NYC (which was uncomfortable for a rural-upbringing fellow like me), and because I'd had a six-pack.

I don't want to be the jerk who discourages job posts. I believe it's a job best suited to those who are near it and are accustomed to the process, but I should have kept my mouth shut.

Sorry about that...

Steve S
jwmacawful

Otto Nobedder wrote:I understand, and wasn't intending to put anything "on" you. I was making a general comment on the nature of work in NYC and the metro coast, versus much of the rest of the country.

I probably overstated my opinion, because I've worked in New York State near NYC (which was uncomfortable for a rural-upbringing fellow like me), and because I'd had a six-pack.

I don't want to be the jerk who discourages job posts. I believe it's a job best suited to those who are near it and are accustomed to the process, but I should have kept my mouth shut.

Sorry about that...
no problem steve. you're not putting anything on me cause i don't own the dept. i was just passing something on to the guy who's looking to make a decent starting wage. (btw, job filled) i'm kinda confused though about what you mean by the process. what large company or shipyard can you waltz into today without a dope screen? now you can't even work near the water without a twic card and i hate to clue you into what a process that is! working here is like no place else. everybody on the planet knows what the skyline of my city looks like. i'm very proud to have contributed to that view by working on more than a few of it's buildings and bridges. the governor at the time of the wtc collapse begged the ironworkers on tv to show the fire dept how to safely take that massive pile of twisted iron down. when you can put that on your resume you're in the major league of welding lol.

Steve S

By "the process", I meant specifically the requirements to work in NYC and surrounding areas.

I've worked in St. Louis, as one example, and did not need a city license, a city certification, or some oxy/acet certification, or any other training mandated by the city itself.

I built a paint booth for cyanoacrylates within the city, so I'm familiar with five layers of regulation, but I've never had do dance through it just to strike an arc.

Steve S