Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

shell oil products is hiring 5 pipe welders. stick and tig. testing is in ca.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

jwmacawful wrote:shell oil products is hiring 5 pipe welders. stick and tig. testing is in ca.
Do you have any contact information specific to the job? Or is this a "search it"? How did you learn of it?

Thanks,

Steve S
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
jwmacawful wrote:shell oil products is hiring 5 pipe welders. stick and tig. testing is in ca.
Do you have any contact information specific to the job? Or is this a "search it"? How did you learn of it?

Thanks,

Steve S
i was at the union hall this pm and a friend was telling me about it. that's all i know except a minute ago i checked a site called oil careers and what do you know?? there it was. it's located in martinez cal.
Mizzip
    Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Speaking of Pipe welding jobs, I was wondering if pipe welders will ever (within the next 30 years) be useless due to robotic/automated welders. I have no experience with this and heard about automated welders and was wondering if a career in wleding will still be open in the future.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You can't take your robots all over with you.
Pipe welders get into a lot of tight places.

~John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

They don't make a robot that can stand on it's head and weld in the mirror in -30* in some F#$KED-up 50-year old powerplant.

Pipe welders will always have work.

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Robots are very6 bad sometimes. First job for me tomorrow is to remove a meter of weld that is no good, from a robert....
Frosty
    Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Mizzip wrote:Speaking of Pipe welding jobs, I was wondering if pipe welders will ever (within the next 30 years) be useless due to robotic/automated welders. I have no experience with this and heard about automated welders and was wondering if a career in wleding will still be open in the future.
Bugs are mostly used on main jobs with high strength pipe (70x & up). They also need a big ROW to work in, because the shanty has to be able to moved.
The plan is to out live everyone and take their tools!
JJRob
    Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm

I worked in a factory building radiators in South Dakota. They built most of their radiators by hand, welded by hand. But then there was one booth set up with a pair of robot welders. It took two guys to load the arm, and unload it, and the 2 arms would weld it all together. Then they slid the radiator 95% of the time right next door to a tig welder who had the official title of "TIG Repair." When they make robots that can either get it right, or fix their own mistakes, some welders might be replaced. That's a LOT further off than 20-30 years.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I am starting to hear all about how 'robots will put welders out of work in the next ten years'! And I think that is Bull S#&*!! Since about 1990, I have been hearing about how stick welding will be dead in "the next ten years" because it will all be flux. Still waiting ....!