Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:This is just an opinion, but,

A craftsman looks for the best way to do his job.

It may or may not be the fastest. It may or not be the least expensive. However, it always results in the best quality he is capable of.

I wish I were always allowed to act this way.

Steve S
What do you do when you're not allowed to? I've been told that you can pick two from a list of quality, speed, and cost. They seem to pick cost and speed most often. Why? and what do you do when your employer does this?
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I am also trying to decide whether to go into the union apprentice program at the local 100 but there's also another welding school that's pricey but I just don't know which would be better?
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

nathan wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:This is just an opinion, but,

A craftsman looks for the best way to do his job.

It may or may not be the fastest. It may or not be the least expensive. However, it always results in the best quality he is capable of.

I wish I were always allowed to act this way.

Steve S
What do you do when you're not allowed to? I've been told that you can pick two from a list of quality, speed, and cost. They seem to pick cost and speed most often. Why? and what do you do when your employer does this?
I suppose I should have put that more clearly in the past-tense. I'm now allowed to always put quality above all else, and my blood-pressure appreciates it.

I don't recall specifically how I responded when I was green, and was pushed for production over quality, but I do recall the transition to taking pride in my work over taking bullshit from a supervisor. I remember taking an ass-chewing while standing on two inches of ice on a 12* day for the time it was taking me to build a gas-train for a distiller's grain dryer. I also remember, when the arrogant little tweaker was done, telling him, "If you don't like this speed, you'll HATE my other one!" because I was done taking bullshit from little Hitler wannabe's, and I'd have thanked him for firing me that cold day, if he'd done it. He couldn't. Where do you get a replacement in the middle of nowhere when 12* is the high temp for the day?

BTW, The pipe superintendant for the job praised my work when he inspected the gas train I got bitched out for taking so long on. I was the only man on our crew to receive this dubious honor, as our crew was the "red-head stepchild" of the job.

I took pride in that, and never forgot how it felt to stand up for my own work ethic.

Steve S
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote: ...because I was done taking bullshit from little Hitler wannabe's...

I took pride in that, and never forgot how it felt to stand up for my own work ethic.

Steve S
That time is coming for me. Wish I'd heard something like your story sooner, coulda saved me some frustration.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press