Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
scarface6477
    Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 am

newbie welder here looking for work. hard worker and im really eager to learn. decent at stick and mig. I passed my 3/8 plate tests overhead and vertical. will work for cheap. Im just trying to get some experience.

Thanks,
mike
long island n.y.

mc6477@optonline.net
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

here's a couple, few tips:
#1~ get your nyc dept. of buildings first class welding license
#2~ keep watching the chief newspaper for municipal welding employment
#3~ don't ever tell anyone that you will work cheap! this is an invitation to be taken over the coals!
#4! leave long island, quick as possible! the pay scale there is paltry at best.
when i first started out i lived on l.i. it seemed the only welding jobs were in factory like settings with bad conditions and pay to match. it wasn't until i came to the city and connected with unions like local 40 and the operating engineers local 15 that things started to look up. it's been 38 years and things are still getting better. last year i made a hundred and twenty thou. with the economy as it is i won't do as good this year but i'll still break one hundred thousand. good luck to you sir!
scarface6477
    Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:50 am

thanks so much for the tips. i will look into the city's dept of buildings license. i guess thats a weld test? vert up and overhead? thanks again.