Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

Suggestion:

Can you make the "simple rule" post a sticky? Eventually it'll end up getting sent to the island of misfit posts, and I"d wager a guess that this might come up again down the road.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mongol wrote:Suggestion:

Can you make the "simple rule" post a sticky? Eventually it'll end up getting sent to the island of misfit posts, and I"d wager a guess that this might come up again down the road.
That thought had crossed my mind... I looked into my "powers" and haven't found it yet. I'll get with an admin on that if I don't find it. Meanwhile, I'll happily edit it at random to bring it to the top.

That's a "pet peeve" of mine, and peeves make horrible pets. :lol:

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Thats very true,

I help run a facebook group on welding and all we hear is we mention wages is "i wouldnt get out of bed for that", or "a good tradie shouldnt wor for less that 50bucks an hour"

Good for them i say, but they need to remember there is a real world out there where a small business cant possibly afford big dollars or competition is so tight that there is no wiggle room.

Mick
Bulldog2010
    Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:58 pm

I know that's right. We small business owner's can't afford to pay top $$ for welders. I would like to. Cause I know as a welder that its worth it to have the best that u can get. But at the sametime some top welder's don't put the same hart into thar job as some of the low pay welder's because the top pay guys thing that thay can't be replaces or thay just want more money. So thar is good and bad and that's the way it goes.

true that. nothing worse than an arrogant prick who thinks everything is beneath him.

mick

weldin mike 27 wrote:true that. nothing worse than an arrogant prick who thinks everything is beneath him.

mick
I thought you said you wouldn't talk about me like that here...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I never understood people who waste time putting down a wage they won't work for or a job they won't apply for. Why, really, would you bother? The way I respond to a job I don't want is simple. I don't respond to it at all. I'll happily leave it be for the next guy. HE might really need it, and I'm happy for him to have it.

Steve S

Lolz, mate, I know nothing is beneath you.....burn.Sorry.

I agree again, on a face book group im on we have a large "wouldnt get out of bed for under...." crowd. They take great pride in butting in and letting us know they wont work for .....We had one guy bag out 35 buck an hour. I know you can make super dollars in this trade, but in a city shop, home every night....?? Not to mention about 2 kays from the beach.
I wish they would keep their mouths shut. (in fact, I think you would enjoy it when you are in to many beer mode, taking down some big mouths.)

My job should pay more, but I don't cry about it. I like the work. I like sleeping in my own bed every night. I like my wife's cooking. I've made much more, but motel rooms, fast food and electric-skillet cuisine, and talking to myself get old after a while.

I think my job will begin to pay better, with the buyout... They can't even find a "department of labor" classification for what I do, and nothing in their own classification system comes close... They have my job classified as "welding inspector".

Also, I got with an admin, and the "simple rule" is now a pinned post, and added to the forum rules page. I asked if I should tone it down a bit, be more subtle... "Nope. I think you nailed it..."

Steve S
Arizona SA200
    Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I realize this is an older post but feel i should put my two cents in. This posting is a "entry level" job and for that the money isn't bad. The ones that bother me are "minimum 5/10 years experience with tig stick mig flux core sub arc gouging and pay is 12$ an hour" stuff. To me that is an insult to the profession. I understand when people say they wont get out of bed for that wage in that scenario. Realistically speaking every company wants the cheapest labor that the can get but still have the performance they require. Its called profit. So I must say if it is a job requiring an experienced welder then they should be willing to pay experienced welder wages.
I stack dimes for a living so i can stack dollars for a paycheck.

Arizona SA200 wrote:I realize this is an older post but feel i should put my two cents in. This posting is a "entry level" job and for that the money isn't bad. The ones that bother me are "minimum 5/10 years experience with tig stick mig flux core sub arc gouging and pay is 12$ an hour" stuff. To me that is an insult to the profession. I understand when people say they wont get out of bed for that wage in that scenario. Realistically speaking every company wants the cheapest labor that the can get but still have the performance they require. Its called profit. So I must say if it is a job requiring an experienced welder then they should be willing to pay experienced welder wages.
Yes, that's another "sore spot" for me...

5+ years experience in combo skills calls for a Journeyman wage, and I'll likely delete a $12/hr offer out-of-hand. I won't insult a working man like that, and I won't allow it here.

Steve S

Similar to a job offering 25 here in AUS. You can get paid 21 for casual at mc donalds.