Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I'm a junior in hs and I have a few options when it comes to welding school. I want to be a pipeliner
Union- 5 year apprentice ship making money while I learn, benefits, free schooling and close to home
And then there's the other welding schools ill have to pay for, and then try and find a job
I've heard pros and cons for both I'm just looking to see if anyone can tell about personal expierences, thoughts concerns ect...
Thanks
-Zach
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
nathan
    Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Welcome, and congrats on picking an amazing career early in life! I waited til I had my first kid to find out what I wanted to do with my life, I wish I had started welding in high school instead of six years later.

I'm a non-union sheet metal welder that's asked the same questions and rarely found the answers I wanted to find. I am non-union because I don't want anyone telling me I can't work. I know it's rare to see a strike, especially in iron work, but I don't want to take that chance. Plus, I'm told that unions don't like you to have two jobs in the industry at the same time. Again, someone telling me I can't work at something I love. But, union jobs pay almost double. Basically, it depends on what you want out of your career and how hard you want to work for it. There are plenty of ways to make good money non-union, but it takes a lot more work I think. I don't think anyone here is gonna tell you that one way is better than the other (that was really frustrating for me), but it really is up to you and what matters to you. Like jwmacawful (sorry if I misspelled it, man) told me: give it some time, there's no rush making the decision (something along those lines). Go ahead and find out what you want to do in metal work, set some goals, and find out how you want to reach those goals.
Instagram: @nathanppiatt

Owner/welder at Homegrown Metal Fab

Lincoln Weld-Pak 125 HD
Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
Lincoln Port-a-torch
30" 40 ton homegrown press brake
Northern Industrial1HP 3/4" chuck, 16 speed drill press
Zach_T
    Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:48 am

I appreciate the reply like you said I've never gotten a clear cut answer and I'm starting to see I'm not going to get one I'm just going to have to find out for myself! And I am also glad I found my career path early on I've known for 2 years now that I wanted to be a welder just because its something I am good at and nobody can take that away from me and no matter which path I choose I will make a good living and be able to support a family and retire comfortably.
If ya ain't burnin ya ain't earnin
mateo32
    Thu May 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Zach_T wrote:I appreciate the reply like you said I've never gotten a clear cut answer and I'm starting to see I'm not going to get one I'm just going to have to find out for myself! And I am also glad I found my career path early on I've known for 2 years now that I wanted to be a welder just because its something I am good at and nobody can take that away from me and no matter which path I choose I will make a good living and be able to support a family and retire comfortably.
Zach, I'm a union pipe-fitter/welder apprentice in Arizona. I have 5 certifications. Right now things are great, I'm getting journeyman pay as an apprentice for welding on the job. I have access to a top notch welding lab with excellent instructors and it doesn't cost me anything above what I pay for school through the apprenticeship. In Arizona I make more as an apprentice than most non-union journeymen. If you're as interested in welding as you say you are, I think union is the way to go. In a 5 year program you will learn far more and have more real world experience than any 2 year school can offer. After your apprenticeship you will still have the training center to fall back on and get new certs or re-certify if needed. I don't know how good work in Texas is right now but you should take the five year apprenticeship and complete it. It's hard but you do it, get skills and then see where you want to go.