Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Joejack
    Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm

Can somebody give me an insight on what a combination welder is ,I've welded a lot of different things am I qualified? Seen. Jobs posted for combination welder need to know be for I apply... Any out there?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Most commonly, "Combo Welder" means pipe, done with TIG root and 7018 out, or TIG root and fill, then 7018 out.

Generically, is can mean any combination of processes, like MIG root/FCAW out, but TIG/stick is by far the most common definition.

Steve S
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Basically they want a guy with a tig cert and a stick cert, both 6g. That way you can do carbon and stainless with either process.

At least thats my understanding.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

kermdawg wrote:Basically they want a guy with a tig cert and a stick cert, both 6g. That way you can do carbon and stainless with either process...
Good answer.

It depends a bit on industry, I suppose. I most commonly see "pipe welder" and "combo welder" in the same ad, where the pipe welder is "just" stick certified or qualified, and the combo welder is certified/qualified in both TIG and stick. The Combo welder is also often expected to be able to do more than one metal, as kermdawg suggests.

I mostly see ads for powerplants and refineries, sometimes ethanol and biodeisel, and compressor stations for pipelines, so mine is a "heavy industrial" usage for the terms.

I've also seen "Combo" used far more loosely in the classifieds, to mean things like "weld structural steel today, build a decorative gate tomorrow"... :o

Steve S
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
kermdawg wrote:Basically they want a guy with a tig cert and a stick cert, both 6g. That way you can do carbon and stainless with either process...
Good answer.

It depends a bit on industry, I suppose. I most commonly see "pipe welder" and "combo welder" in the same ad, where the pipe welder is "just" stick certified or qualified, and the combo welder is certified/qualified in both TIG and stick. The Combo welder is also often expected to be able to do more than one metal, as kermdawg suggests.

I mostly see ads for powerplants and refineries, sometimes ethanol and biodeisel, and compressor stations for pipelines, so mine is a "heavy industrial" usage for the terms.

I've also seen "Combo" used far more loosely in the classifieds, to mean things like "weld structural steel today, build a decorative gate tomorrow"... :o

Steve S
RIGHT??? More like, when the pipe crew is slow your gonna be weldin a couple hundred feet high on structural.

Ya get my money.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?