Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
James3D
    Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:21 am

Hi there,

I have recently started to learn TIG welding and I really enjoy the process and did a basic course.
My position is that I am 33 years old and I do freelance and art work, I get paid well when I get work
but I suffer from periods of no work.

I want to have a skill that will give me part time work or temporary work between these jobs. I also sculpt so more welding skills would be well worth it.

So I was just wondering, if I make sure I get really good at TIG welding and pass certificates, is there any hope of me finding any work?
Even if it is for people I know for just casual work, ie boats, mending gates etc. Nothing major, ie offshore, but more land based casual.

Am I too old to consider this? I am nearly 34. I have a BA HONS degree, but to be honest prefer to do hands on jobs than more computer work/office which I am trying to move away from etc.

Thanks for any information.
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

You can look into the construction industry. Temporary help is the name of the game there, but of course you know it might be rough but if your up for it, its probably still there (even though construction has slowed down a whole lot). You could probably get a job on an erection crew, pipe crew or in some shady fab shop too. The good thing about those jobs is that there are always enough of them to ditch the one your at when you get tired of the bullshit. Thats about the only good thing though.

Good luck,

-Rick
bradj
    Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:29 am

if your tring to go cunstruction your going to have to deal with a union (I hope) that may rule out the part time pipe dream maby look in to a machine shop there is plenty if welding on cylinder head and you wont have to deal guys out of a local being pist at you for taking work
mister bobo
    Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:23 pm

howdy-
I do the part time thing. I have another career that affords me the scheduling luxury of not having to torpedo the wage I earn doing it. I DO NOT undercut pricing. My rate is my rate, not that much less than another guy. I think that is bad biz-might need their hand one day...
I have a decent little set up and can Stick/mig/tig. I get most of my work by word of mouth, friend of a friend type thing. Being smart enough to know how dumb I am has gotten me past some shaky job offers, so I don't get in over my head.
just myt 2 cents!
Take care-
mister bobo