Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
JJRob
    Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:53 pm

Hey guys, I wanna start by thanking anyone who responds to this for your answers. I'm in my 5th year of welding. I've had a ton of jobs, with some varied experiences. Got started in a nice easy MIG steel job, was a great start, taught me a lot of the "Real world skills" that I didn't get out of welding school. Had a couple of jobs in between, and now I've found myself back at home in a small town in Tennessee, with a good job TIG welding aluminum pontoon boats. But I'm not making crap for money now. After floundering for a little bit, I could really use a little advice or direction as to where to go now or at least some avenues to focus my research on. I've been independent [read 'non-union'] so far, but I'm not necessarily avoiding it. I just know that I'd like to be making a little more money, closer to the $20-25/HR range, but I'm not sure if I should be considering brushing up on my stick welding skills, looking into other TIG welding jobs (which I know can be few and far between), or perhaps start looking into the union jump. Honestly, I'm just a little lost and could use some direction. Thanks for the help guys.
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

JJRob welcome to the forum.
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, JJRob,

I drifted from job to job for many years, rarely spending more than a year at a job. I pretty much learned everything they were willing to let me learn, and when it was clear there was no advancement for me, I moved to the next job. I've had 24 jobs in eight very different career paths, and always came back to either welding or painting houses. I found welding much more interesting, in spite of the fact I was painting mega-mansions doing highly specialized stuff.

I've made $2800 a week for three months doing TIG on aluminum. This was a road job, but I was able to live very comfortably on $500/wk, so sent home $2300 each week.

Keep building your skills, and always keep looking for other work that is either interesting or can teach you something.

Are you willing to travel for work? Jobs that provide a per-diem high enough to cover your local bills let you send home lots of money.

If you want to stay local, you'll have to keep building your skills, and sell them to the highest bidder.

Steve S
JJRob

Hey guys thanks for the response! Steve you said you went mobile for TIG Aluminum. That's definitely something I love doing. TIG is by far what I am best at and what I enjoy the most. How did you work into that job? Did you have your own rig or was one provided for you?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

JJRob wrote:Hey guys thanks for the response! Steve you said you went mobile for TIG Aluminum. That's definitely something I love doing. TIG is by far what I am best at and what I enjoy the most. How did you work into that job? Did you have your own rig or was one provided for you?
I was working for a headhunter agency, and they got me in the job (like having an agent to sell your skills). Everything was provided except my own steel-toes and welding hood.

Steve S
JJRob

Interesting. Looks like I oughta look into some headhunters. I know I have the solid skills, and I've been doing what you said actually, I just know there is always more to learn. Id just like to break 40k at the moment though.
nickn372
    Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 am

Where are you from? I may be hiring around the first of the year and I need a guy who can fab and tig mig and stick weld. My shop is in NE Ohio. The big movie megapolis of Sugarcreek to be exact.
Be the monkey....
Wes917
    Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:45 pm

Where at in Tennessee? There's a class 1 railroad down there in Nashville, they've got boilermakers, and pipe fitters, that would get you around $30/hr and you'd get to stay in your home state
JJRob

I'm in Crossville, TN. Center of the state. I'm hoping to stay in the southeast, I'm a Florida boy southerner, and I've discovered I don't like extreme cold, like my last home in South Dakota haha. Actually for those pipe welders out there, been looking at lots of posts for pipe welders, I know its big industry. How did you break into it? I see lots of jobs looking for "Experienced" pipe welders, but I haven't found too much for the new guys or pipe jobs willing to train. Suggestions?
Mongol
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 pm

JJRob wrote:I'm in Crossville, TN. Center of the state. I'm hoping to stay in the southeast, I'm a Florida boy southerner, and I've discovered I don't like extreme cold, like my last home in South Dakota haha. Actually for those pipe welders out there, been looking at lots of posts for pipe welders, I know its big industry. How did you break into it? I see lots of jobs looking for "Experienced" pipe welders, but I haven't found too much for the new guys or pipe jobs willing to train. Suggestions?
Apply anyways. It'll be better if you can talk to someone directly rather than just apply online.

There's what they want, and there's what they'll accept. The worse they'll tell you is "no".
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Just a thought here ...!
I have a friend who works with Mill Wrights out of Tampa. I think it is Local 1000. Anyway, she makes about $75,000 per year, and they only work about nine months per year. You will have to travel. But you will have the summer off. Union benefits! Hooray! When you work, you WILL earn your money. Most of the jobs seem to be 7 12's, or even more hours.

But! You will have the summers off ...!