Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

I've been in TWS for nearly 5 months now I have learned way more than I ever thought I would, but there is one thing I haven't learned. My goals for my career is to work in a power plant or a refinery or my biggest one to be on pipeline. I know I can't do these right out of school can't just show up and expect them to let me weld. I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction on what I should do after I graduate. I want to be on pipeline but I need advice on how to get there. What should I do try to get a welding job after I graduate or try to find a helper job?
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:52 pm

I personaly just got out of welding school aswell (and i still follow evening courses) and i too want to move on to the more serious part of the welding world. What helped me alot for starters is to get a job where i got in touch with alot of experienced people. I mig and tig weld all through the day and it gives me heeps of confidence and a steady hand. Try to talk to everyone you meet at work, and especialy try to get some of the old timers to talk to you. And when you talk to people LISTEN. I mean you dont have to talk to them with a notebook in hand. But i find it helpfull to write down everything i hear during breaks (try to do it out of sight or people will think you are weird or overly motivated lol).

thats what im doing atm and for me in Europe its starting to give me a clear view of what companies do what kind of work and are looking for what kind of welders.

More than that i cant tell you because im not any further in the process. Its a big world out there just try not to get complacent and stick around at the same job for too long if you realy want to move up.

I still think its a realy good question and i would love to hear how other people are doing it or did it.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

The easiest route for you into the pipe welding trades is to join a local pipe trade union. They will train you, and you will be doing real work in the field. More importantly, is the fit up skills that you will learn. I teach that actual welding skills are only about one third of what it takes to be a professional welder. The other (and I would argue at least as important elements) are fit up and lay out skills, and knowing how to think, talk and act like a professional journeyman. Lay out, fit up and understanding what the metal will do when you start to weld or manipulate it are skills that you can only get in over time in the work place. It takes about 8,000 to 10,000 hours to be a 'real' professional at anything! Now, a typical work year is about 2,00 hours (50, 40 hour work weeks), so you are looking at a few years. Knowledge doesn't come cheap or easy. But that makes it all the more worth it!

You learned a lot from a great school. You have a lot of basic skills. Try to find work in the areas you want to end up in, or go ask your instructors from school how you for forward from here.

Good luck!
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Stephen,
You say that you would like to work in a power plant or refinery and ultimately the pipelines. Go to the local power plant or refinery and ask the security guard if he'll give you the name of the mechanical contractor that does their welding, tell them why you're asking so they're not too suspicious. If there's piping work going on around you, try to find out the company's name that's doing it. A lot of the piping that's install in the field is welded up in modules in a shop somewhere and then field welded in place. Try to get a job at the shop welding ancillary stuff, brackets, pipe jacks, even as a fitter.

Once you get that job and they see that you show up and work and can do well they might move you into welding piping in the shop. If you're good at it, pretty soon you'll be asked to help in the field. Get the picture? Small steps will take you to the place you want to go, you just have to let the people who do that kind of work know that you're their man.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
StephenPerkins
    Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:31 am

Thank you guys for the advice I forgot my username so I never got on here but I really appreciate the advice!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

StephenPerkins wrote:Thank you guys for the advice I forgot my username so I never got on here but I really appreciate the advice!
We're glad you posted back!

How's it going? Have you found work, and more importantly work in the direction you want to travel?

I did not go the union route, as I'm not the type to be boxed in to a single craft/trade, so I rather slowly worked my way up by (at first) working any job that would have me, and learning everything I could from them. These were often low-wage production jobs, but each one taught me something, even if it was how to recognize assholes in crafts, supervision, and management. It has eventually led me to a place I'm happy to go to every day and make my contribution, and yes, I'm still learning after 30 years.

Steve S
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

I'm a little worried about you. Unless you have quite a few aliases, I would think using your real name would be easy to remember, but maybe not. Next time use the name of the most unforgettable person you've ever met, maybe that'll help. :lol:

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Braehill wrote:I'm a little worried about you. Unless you have quite a few aliases, I would think using your real name would be easy to remember, but maybe not. Next time use the name of the most unforgettable person you've ever met, maybe that'll help. :lol:

Len
But,

My name is already taken! :roll: :lol:
DylanWelds
    Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:25 am

Shipyards! get on a pipe crew in a shipyard and get some experience there. Your skills will get way better in a shipyard because most of the in position welds are running along the decks, walls, or ceilings. You'll learn to mirror weld too. Anything after that is way easier and they generally will bring on people fresh outta school.