Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

So I've been welding for over a year now, in my garage and at school on weekends. I was wondering how to get your foot in the door in the welding industry. Every job I see in the papers or online, they want experienced welders. I understand that, since welding isnt something you learn by watching, you learn it by doing. Kinda the chicken or the egg thing I guess in this industry.

Anyway, I really decided I want to be a welder. I'm pretty good with stick and alright with tig. Should I learn MIG or fluxcore too? I'm sure they dont want some kid off the street welding structural members.

Any advice appreciated.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Versatility is everything in this trade. If you are planning on going into this trade as a career, I would suggest that you learn as much as possible. If you want a good life outside of the union circle (being employed as a non-union weldor), then you better be able to outdo the other guy. Believe it or not, there is much talk of starting in the direction of innershield wire inplace of stick on the jobsites. Get good AWS certs and the work will eventually find you. Employers actually look to the AWS website for AWS certified weldors offering them jobs. Whether you're a kid off the street or not, if you have that AWS cert, that is a huge plus for you.
In the mean time you may have to pay your dues and try to get your foot in the door where possible. Right now it's all about location, location, location when it comes to getting the good jobs.
I have been welding for 16 years and have my own mobile welding business. I do alot of structural welding and heavy equipment repair. In my area the work is fairly steady, especially if you are good and the word gets around. I live in the northeastern part of Ohio. I don't know where you are located, but obtain as much versatility as possible. (MIG, TIG, Stick, steel, stainless, aluminum, plasma cutting, carbon arc-gouging, oxy-gas cutting).
If you want to be more than the mediocre weldor making 10 bucks an hour, then you have to learn as much as possible. Oh yeah, learn how to read welding symbols and drawings
If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg

Guess my main question is where the work is. I live in Las Vegas and their aint much goin on right now, or in the near future(2-3 years). So I'm lookin to buy a travel trailer and go on the road. Willin to go anywhere really, but need to make enough to pay the bills at home, so I need 15-20 bucks an hour.

Im gonna look into the AWS certs too. Thanks for that man :)
Weldingn00bie
    Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:10 pm

I don't know much about the welding industry, but if it's anything like most other industries, internship/apprenticeship programs are available for those who are getting into that particular field. As someone who studied graphic design, I took part in many graphic design internships and it eventually landed me a job at a reputable advertising agency. I took what I learned at these internships and showed them what I learned. If there are any programs like that available, that would be your next and best step. Good luck!
Irene the Welding n00b
Someone fetch me a Tube Notcher! I'm ready to GO!
kermdawg

Well I'm in kinda a tricky situation when it comes to an apprenticeship. I'm already of member of the UA, which is plumbers, pipefitters and welders. I've been a plumber for 7 years, and a lincesned Journeyman in my State(Nevada) and my Local Union. I want to get into pipefitting/welding because theres alot of work on the horizon for fitters and fitterwelders, but I can't go through an apprenticeship again for two reasons-1, I'm not going to spend 2-3 years plumbing again, for a reduced rate, learning stuff I already know;and 2-Theres no work for apprentices either!

The journeyman upgrade classes at my hall seem to fill up by the time I get the paperwork to sign up. So my thought would be to learn welding at the Commuity college and pass the pre certs at my hall to get welder on my book.
dav
  • dav
    Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Im in the same situation too except there are good places to work at here in south Carolina. we got a couple of nuclear plants and plenty of heavy industry comanys that i want to get into. but im fresh out of high school and got little experiance in a real welding work place. i can stick mig and tig and ither stuff like plasma and oxyac. cutting, but those places wont notice anybody like that. so im trying to get 5000 to go to a 10 week welding program and since i can weld pretty good im sure ill get hired first, because employers are always waiting at the graduation ready for interviews. so i got a good chance, but all i need is som cash to pay for it all. good luck with your surch.
dustelf
    Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:09 am

dav wrote:Im in the same situation too except there are good places to work at here in south Carolina. we got a couple of nuclear plants and plenty of heavy industry comanys that i want to get into. but im fresh out of high school and got little experiance in a real welding work place. i can stick mig and tig and ither stuff like plasma and oxyac. cutting, but those places wont notice anybody like that. so im trying to get 5000 to go to a 10 week welding program and since i can weld pretty good im sure ill get hired first, because employers are always waiting at the graduation ready for interviews. so i got a good chance, but all i need is som cash to pay for it all. good luck with your surch.

are you serious? u think that after a 10 weeks training you're gonna weld something in a nuclear plant? scarry !!!!
kermdawg

No offense brother, but your fresh outta high school. I've been in the trade for 8 years, I'm a licensed Journeyman in my state, and I've worked on plenty of big jobs (City Center, where 13 craftsmen lost their lives.) Thats not really the same thing. You need to get some experience in the trades before you walk onto a big job like a nuke plant or your gonna get yourself killed, or worse someone around you killed.
gurew
    Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

meh ive been welding 8ish months now...and all i have to say is...stay welding, get lots of seat time, practice every chance you get in every situation possible, try all kinds of positions, weld uncomfortable, and ...get more seat time....check my other thread...you can be a very good welder with little experience if you are dedicated to welding....

buuuut...welding so ive learned, you can only be a great welder if you have the best fitment of your pieces...without fitment, welds always look like shit
dav
  • dav
    Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:49 pm

are you serious? u think that after a 10 weeks training you're gonna weld something in a nuclear plant? scarry !!!![/quote]

I was saying what possible places there are to keepa career in, im not sayin that i will somhow get there, just need the nccer cert. 10 weeks is nithing much for me to learn because i will probly fly through those tests.it dont matter if im outa HS, i could be fresh outta prison and git hired for skills, not how long my experience (although if out of prison, u can preitty much say good by to a good job)