Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
BradlyD903
    Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

can anyone give me advice for down hill welding with 1104 down hill stick welding + Amps "heat" for each specific rod used from a 6010 1/8 - 5/32" and 3mm for underground pipe with a bead layout diagram for stacking welds from root-fill & cap?

help needed.

I'm a up hill lo-high welder have been for several years, looking to take a test for a standard down hill procedure. I Dont have the rods to use or someone to give me a clue.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Bradley, I could talk a little bit on the finer points of downhill welding, but I've never been a "downhill all the way out" guy. Roots, only. That's because I'm accustomed to AWS and ASME codes, and have never read the API 1104 standard.

I'll see if I can dig up some excerpts or get my hands on an outdated copy, so we can establish what you might find on a WPS for an API 1104 test (which will generally be tighter in tolerance than individual procedures on actual jobs). If it falls in the range of skills of any members here, we'll have a starting point for some useful advice.

In the meantime, do a google search for API 1104 videos, and you might find some instructive YouTube stuff.

Steve S
BradlyD903
    Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:38 pm

Thank you, I can run a bead and hotpass without a problem. I've just never filled and caped down hill.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

BradlyD903 wrote:Thank you, I can run a bead and hotpass without a problem. I've just never filled and caped down hill.
You're welcome.

I'm in that same classification. I'll see what I can come up with.

I'll also copy this topic into the SMAW section, since not everyone scrolls down this far...

Steve S