Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
    Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:30 pm

i have a 4" aluminum pipe line to weld using the mig process i need advice on joint prep and welding the line effectifly
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Not trying to be stupid or insulting, but do you think you should be welding an aluminum high pressure line when you have never welded aluminum before?. Just asking.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

If it were me I'd call a welder.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

i would put a slight bevel in the weld area, but not too thin, becuase the mig gun will run pretty hot. if possible, preheat this weld area with a torch just a little bit, becuase aluminum mig tends to start cold without good machine settings, or a good ground, and even depending on the machine quality and setup. Try uphill welding if possible for good penetration.

good luck,

-Rick
TheExpert

The groove weld is commonly used to make edge-to-edge joints, although it is also often used in corner joints, T joints, and joints between curved and flat pieces.
WEthePEOPLE
    Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:57 am

Hey it would have been easier for the guy to sit on his butt and collect unemployment. At least he had the stones to put his neck out try something scary. That being said this seems like a job that requires a certified aluminiun pipe welder. Make sure you are even legally allowed to do the job. AS long as you pursue lots of help (which you are) and practice until you"re confident, you'll ace it.
Va Welder
    Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:32 am

He he he...... mig welding on high pressure alum pipe ive never herd of such a thing. Do people really do that? Is there a code for that? How thick is the pipe ? What I would do is bevel to code, purge with argon, and tig that mother. My advice is do some serious research and get it right dont want to kill someone. Good luck!
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Actually, Va Welder, ASME IX permits that process. I don't do it, but it can be approved with an adequate WPS and follow-up NDT.

Everything I've done on aluminum pressure (vessel or pipe) is TIG.

This is a case where the original post is quite old, and we never heard back, so either he nailed it ;) , ir he was "pipe dreaming". 8-)

Steve S

Reviewing "6010"'s post history, he only posted for that week, in DEC 2010, and never commented again.

Trolled for information, and moved on.

Steve S
Alexa
    Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

6010 wrote:i have a 4" aluminum pipe line to weld using the mig process i need advice on joint prep and welding the line effectifly
=====

You have stated very limited information ... only the pipe diameter and the process.
There are many variables to know before someone can make an attempt to comment on a procedure.

Aexa

Alexa,

The original post was almost three years ago, and the poster stuck around for less than a week.

Someone dragged this topic up for conversation.

Steve S