Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
Puritan
    Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:20 pm

I just finished Welding School 2 weeks ago. I'm certified 4G unlimited thickness for Stick ,Flux Core, MIG, and 3G TIG.
I have about a year of basic fabrication experience building steel cabinets, but most of my training is geared towards the structural stuff.

Can anyone put me the in ballpark of how much I should be expecting to make as an entry level welder?
Any advice on landing an entry level job?
Sarge

Where are you looking to be located?
Be Innovative.
Goal is perfection, but excellence is Acceptable.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

From my current experience, looking for a welding job in the SouthWest US-0

California-Aint payin crap right now. Saw a couple tig jobs for 10-12 bucks an hour. Bleh.

Nevada-Dont bother comin here, aint no work for anyone :(

New Mexico-Slightly better pay, but not a whole lot of jobs.

Utah- No work that I could find.

Texas-Lots of work, decent pay. Youll get alot farther if you speak spanish too.

Oklahoma-Spose to be work breakin here. Id try here after Texas.

After the first I'm gonna seriously start the job hunt. Noone hires in november-early january, its the worst time of year to try and get a job. Ill keep ya updated
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
Puritan

Sarge wrote:Where are you looking to be located?
Anywhere I can make a living......I'm too the point right now that I have considered driving out of state an living outta my car until I can get my first check.
Sarge

ok... so what is a close to you starting point? Might as well try to make this as easy I we can. I can prolly get you work around here if you are good. Might not be what you are looking for permanent but could get you some cash.
Be Innovative.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
Sarge

If you are skilled and trainable with a great work ethic and adaptable to cross training with a positive attitude (the list goes on...lol), I might be looking for someone in a month or two...
Be Innovative.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
Puritan

Sarge wrote:ok... so what is a close to you starting point? Might as well try to make this as easy I we can. I can prolly get you work around here if you are good. Might not be what you are looking for permanent but could get you some cash.
Colorado is bit far for me to go it alone (I'm in Kentucky.) If I have to relocate that far for work I'll be bringing another welder. Is there enough work in the area (even temp work) to hold us over until we can get established?
Sarge

There are several weld shops that seam to keep real busy in my immediate area. I have worked for two of them. Pueblo has several large facilities, one is a wind generator plant. Pueblo is 55 miles west of here. Colorado Springs, I am in close contact with a couple places that may be hiring in the metal distribution plants that cut and ship and CNC stuff for customers. I would say that a person should be able to make a living here. Contec Bridge in Minnesota is a huge shop. Worked there several years ago. I know that they have a website. Arctic Cat in St. Cloud Minnesota is always in search for good welders. I have several friends that would put feelers out if you wanted to email me a resume? If this is of interest, sent a PM and I will exchange emails with you.
Be Innovative.
Powermig 255C
Powermig 350MP x2
175 squarewave
Weld-pac 100
Hypertherm 600
Hypertherm 1250
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey I'll take a job in colorado. Aint got no resume experience but I've got over 100 hours of Tig Seat time and the same Stick.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
TheExpert

Operating safety working equipments and applying safety practice at work while performing his/her duties. Welding spare parts in various directions: flat, horizontal, vertical or overhead, etc. Igniting flame or striking an arc while welding or performing other electricity-related work to weld part of a metal structure. Clamping, holding, tack-welding, heat-bending, bolting, or grinding spare parts as necessary to satisfy the technical requirements and create a welded final product.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Hey, Puritan,

Since you're in KY, here's two email addresses to send your resume' to:

Brian Kanke (pronounced CON-key)
bkanke@unitedlaborgroup.com

Jim Shetlar
jshetlar@unitedlaborgroup.com.

ULG is a division of Dilling Mechanical, with work all over the country. I've been with them since early July, and they've kept me busy and WELL paid.

If you send a resume', mention my name, and the screen name "otto nebedder" in your cover letter. (They know who I am, and it will help you get noticed.)

Steve