Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
WELDER 13
    Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 pm

hey i got a question for all the experienced and knowledgeable pipe welders out there im new to this so i was wondering about machines i bought a lincoln ranger 250 chopper series great machine give you that but the pipe downhill mode gots me a little confused was wondering i got a lincoln sqaure wave tig in garage as well and i run about 50 - 60 amps fpr a 2inch sch 40 pipe [practice] that and two inch sch 160 at 85 for root :roll: with the sqaure wave and man it still to hot then ill run the ranger at the same amps on down hill pipe and it much easier to control i assume thats why its for pipe it makes it easier to run so the question is can any stick machine be used for pipe welidng and if i lower the sqare wave down about 10 amps it will run similiar with arc and bead control just want some clarity when i hear people saying i run 1-8 5 p at 125 for hot pass on a 6 inch standard wall pipe with my 200 lincoln it burns fine then i figure im gonna try it but damn that stuff get hott qick with the sqare wave i got gonna try ranger next on pipe mode im thinking thats what it may be on regular cc stick thats too hot for what ive tried so all machines dont run at the same amps then or its just the arc control[ amps and fine control] on then machine theres alot more to pipe than first thought i got a little insight just searching for more info i know it sounds confusing thanks any insight will be much helpful :idea: :oops:
4m welder
    Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:23 pm

What kind of gap are you using? If i'm fitting, i'll use a hacksaw blade for my gap from 95-110 amps for 1/8. Each machine will run different. Doesen't matter if it's a sa-200 or a ranger 250. Try dragging your downhill root and make sure to run in front of the slag.
4m welder

1/8 rod...not gap, just saw that. run 95 on a 1/8 gap downhill....fun, fun
WELDER 13

4m welder wrote:1/8 rod...not gap, just saw that. run 95 on a 1/8 gap downhill....fun, fun
orite im gonna try that i use a piece of 16 ga. for space and about a tight 3/32 land for a 1/8 5p rod about 80 90 depend on pipe size smaller pipe i lower amps but im gonna try a hacksaw blade its a little thinner and what size land do you use and thanks alot bro
4m welder

maybe a 1/16. make sure to clean good between passes. Depending on the job, the cap is done with 3/16 or 5/32...side to side..burn in the sides.
WELDER 13

ok im gonna try that tommorow thank ill let you know how it goes i assume this it what you do for a living thats coo thats my goal and dream thanks again man and another question this is the same on all pipe size r differnt gaps and landing on differnt size just need to be schooled
4m welder

ya, i'm lucky enough to work at doing something i love. You'll have to experiment with different sizes of pipe..2" will heat up quick...i usually tig that but, there are some that use 5p root and 7018 fill and cap.
WELDER 13

o rite bro thanks again the test thet give down here in kern county some companys do want it tig but 95 % want it all stick all the way out thanks again and they xray your stuff were your at down here they want to x ray test coupons and when your on the job they say 10 percent x ray
4m welder

10%?? wow...always been 100% for me. Is this oilfield?
WELDER 13

yea its oil fields some company may even do 50 percent from what my buddies tell me he say rarely they do a 100 per x ray i gues they to cheap lol!!!! theres a shop over here were they do a 100 per but its all 1 g roll outs with mig dont understand why thats not a diffucult position they dont do all there stuff that way but to each there own i have yet to go to the oil patch thats what im striving for but i have worked in shops doing roll outs with no x ray but i want to be challenged so i want to step it up a notch
WELDER 13

4m welder wrote:10%?? wow...always been 100% for me. Is this oilfield?
hey man i tried a 6 inch pipe with a penny land and a sawzall blade to gap it and about 90 r so amps it came out great thanks man and a 3inch with a penny land and gap came out great too
TheExpert

WM63B-3plastic pipe welding machine, 1200mm Butt-fusion HDPE Plastic pipe welding machine are some good pipe welding machines.