Whos hiring and where, pay, hours, Certification tests given, tig, mig, stick?
jamiewells
    Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:56 pm

I work in a shop in columbus and we haven't been doing much work. I was wondering if any one here knew of other shops around that were hiring?
rod burna
    Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 pm

well, i just interviewd at a place in newark called gemco.. it was a rundown type of machine shop but the welding work was there be forewarned though, they want a guy that will mig tig stick on carbon, stainless and aluminum and you have to supervise this kid that works there, i tested on all process and passed fine but then when we talked about money he offered me 12 an hour so i told him to keep it seeing as how i would be traveling like an hour each way to work there there is a posting for that job on the zanesville craigslist if you still wanna check it out
When all else fails, Force prevails!
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

That job sounds EXACTLEY like the shady fab shop type of job I was refering to in the "can I work as a part time welder" post.

Like I said, the only good things about those jobs is that there enough of 'em to ditch the one your at when you get tired of the bullshit.

-Rick
rod burna
    Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 pm

amen!! my boss now openly tells us "F**K YOU!!! wire burners are a dime a dozen!!!" which may be true but WELDERS ARENT!! i could go on for decades about this crap i actually had a shirt made that says wire burner on it and wore it two days after his last little fit. then he (not being able to weld at all) has the audacity to try and critique us on the angle we hold a torch and things like that i've been known to pull my hood off, offer it to him and say "show me then" that usually buys me a couple days of cleaning haha time to accept that we belong to the most vital, and respected yet most underappreciated profession known to mankind
When all else fails, Force prevails!