What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:25 am

Ok, so I have been looking at swing sets, with monkey bars, for my kids. Everywhere I went, it seemed that playsets were $500 on up for cheesy wooden ones that didn't seem like they would stand for very long. So, I thought to myself "Why not just build one out of steel?". So I called around and found some good prices for steel and built one. This is way overkill for a kids playset, but it was a good value for the steel, it will last for much longer than anything made out of wood, plus it will stand up to way more abuse from the kids than a wooden one would. It's made out of 4" C-Channel with 3/4" Round bar for the monkey bars. There will also be a fort on top as soon as I can get some more steel for the platform and railings.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

You must feed your kids well to need a swing set that stout!!

Looks cool....
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024

Haha...not really. They're pretty average for a 9, 7, 3 and 1yr old. I just had some C-channel that I hadn't used so bought matching to build the whole thing. Plus, this thing will last for many many years and through all the abuse they could throw at it.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

too much throw away now a days

think grand kids

great grand kids

reuse
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

RustOleum Hammered Paint works great on projects like this. It comes in a variety of colors.
Attachments
hammered_silver_closeup.jpg
hammered_silver_closeup.jpg (57.77 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Firewelder,

I LOVE it! As Jody says, there's NO kill like overkill!

That's a swingset/jungle gym your grandchildren can use.

Steve S

WerkSpace wrote:RustOleum Hammered Paint works great on projects like this. It comes in a variety of colors.
Hey!! I didn't think of that! Looks really good too. I was just going to use regular spray paint but I think I'll look into using this!! Thanks for the great idea!
Firewelder,

I LOVE it! As Jody says, there's NO kill like overkill!

That's a swingset/jungle gym your grandchildren can use.

Steve S
That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Plus, as rough as my kids play, and their friends, it will defiantly stand up to the abuse. The main structure joints were grooved and welded with 6010 stick and the bars for the monkey bars were welded with .035 hard wire. I got very lucky and had a day with no wind so it made welding the bars easier since I could use wire and not lose my shielding gas.

Maybe I shouldn't let my mind wander like this...

I had taken my dogs out, and returned to the post about "hammered paint".

My male dog had "pinched one off" right in the walking path, and I had to remove it.

When I saw the picture of the paint, I made the connection....

If I'd used that on my dog's "deposit", would it then look like "hammered dog shit"??? :shock:

Steve S
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

There's an old expression " you can't polish a turd " ( well it's from the north of England so it's " you canny polish a turd ) but I'm not sure about painting one - ( or chroming )

tell me again how we keep getting off topic ? !!
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

You're right Steve, you really shouldn't let it wonder off by its self like that. :lol:
noddybrian wrote:tell me again how we keep getting off topic ? !!
It takes years of practice to pull it off successfully. :P

Nice work on the swing set Firewelder!
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

noddybrian wrote:There's an old expression " you can't polish a turd " ( well it's from the north of England so it's " you canny polish a turd ) but I'm not sure about painting one - ( or chroming )

tell me again how we keep getting off topic ? !!
The TV show "Mythbusters" did this one... I think they used Lion poop and a Japanese method, to polish a turd like a billiard ball, proving "you can".

Digressions are an unfortunate side effect of human nature. One idea leads to another. Some of us take the path less traveled...

I didn't mean to hijack to post... It was meant to be "comic relief". :lol:

Steve S
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

Image Image Image
Go break something, then you can weld it back the right way.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

Well, back to the program, I also like the swing, and I would like to see it primed and painted, with something.

Good one.

PS When the wind is up, go flux-core.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, things have really picked up at work...we're working 5 12 hr days and 8hrs on Sat. Haven't had time to do any paint as yet except to rattle can some primer on it to keep it from rusting. I will definitely post pics once the final paint job is done. I appreciate all the positive feedback since this was the first time I've attempted something at home with the "blueprints" all in my head...not even a sketch to go by. Next project in the works is a small trailer for my 12' fiberglass boat!

Firewelder wrote:...Unfortunately, things have really picked up at work...
My sister would call that a "First-World" problem :lol:

Steve S
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Firewelder wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately, things have really picked up at work...we're working 5 12 hr days and 8hrs on Sat. Haven't had time to do any paint as yet except to rattle can some primer on it to keep it from rusting. I will definitely post pics once the final paint job is done. I appreciate all the positive feedback since this was the first time I've attempted something at home with the "blueprints" all in my head...not even a sketch to go by. Next project in the works is a small trailer for my 12' fiberglass boat!

Unfortunately???? :o

Not digging your career??
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 am

I think he means unfortunately for his personal life... 5 12's and 8 on Saturday doesn't leave much time for yourself.

TxBigRed wrote:I think he means unfortunately for his personal life... 5 12's and 8 on Saturday doesn't leave much time for yourself.

Very true...and that's what I meant. I totally love my job and wouldn't want to do anything else. Structural steel fabrication in a shop environment running .045 and 1/16 dual-shield as well as stick. Just means no time for the kids and no time for other projects at home :( I usually spend Sundays sitting on my rear trying to rest up to start again Monday morning.