What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

All cuts at 15 deg.
mig .035 19.5v 225ipm.

Enjoy.

~John

Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

john
cool job
do you ever sleep???
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:john
cool job
do you ever sleep???
craig

Once every night.

Some of these jobs I've posted lately, are months old, some even a year old.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Tubal
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Nice work....couple of questions:

How much do they weigh?

If one was going to build these with just an old AC/DC stick machine, which rod is favored?

Thanks,
Andy

Tubal wrote:Nice work....couple of questions:

How much do they weigh?

If one was going to build these with just an old AC/DC stick machine, which rod is favored?

Thanks,
Andy

Not more then 30 lbs.
The one that has blue legs is 2x2 by 1/8" wall tubing.
The other one is 1.5x1.5 by 1/8" wall tubing.
You can build them as heavy or light as you want to.

If I was gonna stick um, prolly 3/32" 7018 around 80amps.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Tubal
    Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Hey, thanks mucho....trying to soak in that knowledge.

Tubal wrote:Hey, thanks mucho....trying to soak in that knowledge.
It's free for the taking. :)

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Nice John, and with the metal casters you won't fight a grounding issue. Those will come in handy for sure...
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB

Rick_H wrote:Nice John, and with the metal casters you won't fight a grounding issue. Those will come in handy for sure...

Not sure what you mean,
I'm going to tack those casters to the top, and roll a big piece of pipe while I weld it.

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

John,
If I were the one building those, I would center the two casters to where they are almost touching each other and drill and tap the two holes on each that are closest to the center line. Then move out about an inch on each and do the same, giving you a two inch gap in between. That way you can use the close gap for smaller pipe and it will not try and ride up the casters for large pipe. Heavy pipe causes a lot of friction and wants to ride up and over the wheels. You don't have to do the outside holes because the pipe is only putting outward pressure on the casters. then you can use them as flat top horses without grinding off your tacks. Just a thought to make them more handy.

Len
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Braehill wrote:John,
If I were the one building those, I would center the two casters to where they are almost touching each other and drill and tap the two holes on each that are closest to the center line. Then move out about an inch on each and do the same, giving you a two inch gap in between. That way you can use the close gap for smaller pipe and it will not try and ride up the casters for large pipe. Heavy pipe causes a lot of friction and wants to ride up and over the wheels. You don't have to do the outside holes because the pipe is only putting outward pressure on the casters. then you can use them as flat top horses without grinding off your tacks. Just a thought to make them more handy.

Len

Good advice, I learned that last time I built some rollers for 4in schedule 80.

John, what I ment for grounding is you can clamp tonypir horse frame and since you have all metal casters you'll have no issues.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
jwright650
    Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:27 pm

AKweldshop wrote:
Rick_H wrote:Nice John, and with the metal casters you won't fight a grounding issue. Those will come in handy for sure...

I'm going to tack those casters to the top, and roll a big piece of pipe while I weld it.
Ah...OK, I was going to suggest adding a piece of 3/4" roll bar to the center of the top of the tube where material would be sitting.

At the fab shop where I used to work all of the tables were built that way, however they were long enough to hip-bump the pipe across the table to turn it as they welded. The round bar makes a good place for the piece to ground itself to the table and not give you arc strikes all over...and makes it easier to hip-bump the pipe as you weld around it.
John Wright
AWS Certified Welding Inspector
NDT Level II UT, VT, MT and PT
NACE CIP Level I Coating Inspector