What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Coldman wrote:Had all three and completely understand why they are not endangered. The croc tasted between chicken and fish and kinda bland. Emu rissoles were stinky and I expect the taste was like something squeezed out of the wrong end of a camel. The roo, what can I say - you can live on it but it tastes like S@%#T!
Goanna tastes ok. Wallaby is passable.
Koala would have to reek of eucalyptus, what do you reckon?
Agree on the croc and emu, disagree respectully on the roo - a good roo steak cooked right can be a beautiful thing.

I've tried goanna, bit oily but okay. Wallaby fine. And yes, I reckon koala would have to taste like furniture polish, but seeing as they are protected ( as well as cute and furry...) I guess they're off the menu.

Love yabbies...mm...now I'm feeling hungry!

Kym
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Instead of eating them maybe we could try rubbing them directly onto furniture?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

Coldman wrote:Instead of eating them maybe we could try rubbing them directly onto furniture?
:lol:
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

Steve S[/quote]
Of course I played along and admitted I forgot to put a door on it with my best redneck drawl...a couple people fell for it :)[/quote]

I can't stop laughing at that.
Boomer63

Coldman wrote:Had all three and completely understand why they are not endangered. The croc tasted between chicken and fish and kinda bland. Emu rissoles were stinky and I expect the taste was like something squeezed out of the wrong end of a camel. The roo, what can I say - you can live on it but it tastes like S@%#T!
Goanna tastes ok. Wallaby is passable.
Koala would have to reek of eucalyptus, what do you reckon?

Humm .... we ain't got no animals like that 'round here? Where you all from, Sweden or something like that? Ireland?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

There are a lot of delicious creatures out there without resorting to the "endangered". I've eaten bear, boar, goat, lamb, rabbit, squirrel, racoon, moose, elk, antelope, and, of course, whitetail.

Also alligator (not a big fan), shrimp, several kinds of crab, octopus, squid, escargot, and every game and non-game fish that's reasonably edible in North America.

Dove, quail, pheasant, goose, duck, guinea, and even squab.

I'll even eat whatever it is they put in hot-dogs and bologna.

I'll kill and eat anything that moves, so things stay pretty quiet around my house... My friggin' goldfish would stop swimming when I got close...

Steve S

While it's not exactly open slather, I always maintain;

'If it's feral, it's in peril!'

Killing animals for no good reason and not making use of them isn't something I could ever condone. But if they are both regarded as a 'pest animal' as well as being tasty in a casserole, heck, why waste good protein?

Kym
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Steve, if you ever saw baloney or hot dogs being made, your minds eye wouldn't let you eat it again. When you hear the old saying "they use everything on a pig but the squeel" its true. Lips, assholes, ball sacks, what have you, gets ground into a paste and well...baloney and hotdogs! I'd rather eat what the Aussies are eating rather than ballistic gel meat paste. If I had to eat a koala, at least I could see the asshole and say "i'll pass" :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am

A mate of mine used to work in an abattoir. He never ate hot dogs, ever. He just always referred to them as "Lips and Assholes". I guess he must have known something.
EWM Phonenix 355 Pulse MIG set mainly for Aluminum, CIGWeld 300Amp AC/DC TIG, TRANSMIG S3C 300 Amp MIG, etc, etc
Boomer63

I want to build a very "high end" smoker for a local BBQ guy. I need for this thing to be trailer mounted, fully insulated and able to be sealed. The smoker he has now does not maintain temperature in winter. Double walling the structure is going to be a bitch, but ... what the heck. I need make this a 'student project'. I have other angles in mind with the entire build to make it a unique, one of a kind smoker. My deal with my end-user is that he pays all material costs, power coating, etc., and I will furnish fabrication and consumables. With everything in mind that I have, this will be a great thing for the program when (if) I get it done!
Gary
exnailpounder

Boomer63 wrote:I want to build a very "high end" smoker for a local BBQ guy. I need for this thing to be trailer mounted, fully insulated and able to be sealed. The smoker he has now does not maintain temperature in winter. Double walling the structure is going to be a bitch, but ... what the heck. I need make this a 'student project'. I have other angles in mind with the entire build to make it a unique, one of a kind smoker. My deal with my end-user is that he pays all material costs, power coating, etc., and I will furnish fabrication and consumables. With everything in mind that I have, this will be a great thing for the program when (if) I get it done!
Gary
Double walling isn't that hard to do. I used to help a friend re-line refractory furnaces for aluminum die-casting plants and learned quite a bit about double walling and the like. I have always wanted to build an insulated smoker but I haven't found the need for it yet. That would be one hell of a fun project for your students. To me, any smoker project is fun. Please post pics of this build Gary...thanks...Jeff
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Gary, that sounds like a great project, and the way you describe your teaching method, you could put much of the research, development, and design in the hands of your students for a "real world" experience.

Were I to design a jacketed, insulated smoker, here's the thoughts I would start with. The firebox should not require insulation, but if it's desired, it could be handled with refractory brick instead of jacketing, or a jacket could be filled with refractory cement eliminating the need for strong ties between the firebox and jacket (limiting the connection to spacers, thus limiting heat loss).

The body of the smoker, which should ideally never exceed 500*F except by accident, could be insulated with rock-wool which would also greatly reduce the number of connections needed to support the inner jacket. Plain fiberglass would also work, with additional spacers to prevent the compression of the fiberglass. Short of vacuum-jacketing, which is highly impractical, any jacketed space needs to be able to "breath" to atmosphere, so expansion and contraction of air and moisture in the space cannot deform or crush the inner jacket.

I doubt you need any suggestions on trailer design, but I can find a few resources for you on finding CG and setting tongue weight by axle placement.

Good luck, and I'm with Jeff, I want to see pictures as this progresses.

Steve S
Boomer63

exnailpounder wrote:
Boomer63 wrote:I want to build a very "high end" smoker for a local BBQ guy. I need for this thing to be trailer mounted, fully insulated and able to be sealed. The smoker he has now does not maintain temperature in winter. Double walling the structure is going to be a bitch, but ... what the heck. I need make this a 'student project'. I have other angles in mind with the entire build to make it a unique, one of a kind smoker. My deal with my end-user is that he pays all material costs, power coating, etc., and I will furnish fabrication and consumables. With everything in mind that I have, this will be a great thing for the program when (if) I get it done!
Gary
Double walling isn't that hard to do. I used to help a friend re-line refractory furnaces for aluminum die-casting plants and learned quite a bit about double walling and the like. I have always wanted to build an insulated smoker but I haven't found the need for it yet. That would be one hell of a fun project for your students. To me, any smoker project is fun. Please post pics of this build Gary...thanks...Jeff
Thanks, Jeff! I am working on pics, etc. for all student projects; it is just that this is still in the "planning and execution" stage and not quite up to "finish product and release to public" stage. I am trying to do way, way too many things at once!

Because of the needs of this customer, I need to have an insulated smoker. I also intend to add loads of 'extras' to the build, to make it unique to this guy. For example, he is a guitar player, so I will ask him what is his favorite song, then purchase the sheet music, and then reproduce the first four bars of the sheet music in iron somewhere on the trailer ... and add little guitars as handle pulls, etc. Lots of possibilities!

For this particular customer, it is a straight up no charge outside of materials. What I do for other folks who want something is charge them a little, make a small (very small) profit and use the money for the program. It is a great way to purchase things that the school might no otherwise want to spend money on: like a little tool box with lots of small spaces for all the TIG, MIG and plasma parts ... etc.

My problem is time ... no way do I have enough time!
Gary
Boomer63

Otto Nobedder wrote:Gary, that sounds like a great project, and the way you describe your teaching method, you could put much of the research, development, and design in the hands of your students for a "real world" experience.

Were I to design a jacketed, insulated smoker, here's the thoughts I would start with. The firebox should not require insulation, but if it's desired, it could be handled with refractory brick instead of jacketing, or a jacket could be filled with refractory cement eliminating the need for strong ties between the firebox and jacket (limiting the connection to spacers, thus limiting heat loss).

The body of the smoker, which should ideally never exceed 500*F except by accident, could be insulated with rock-wool which would also greatly reduce the number of connections needed to support the inner jacket. Plain fiberglass would also work, with additional spacers to prevent the compression of the fiberglass. Short of vacuum-jacketing, which is highly impractical, any jacketed space needs to be able to "breath" to atmosphere, so expansion and contraction of air and moisture in the space cannot deform or crush the inner jacket.

I doubt you need any suggestions on trailer design, but I can find a few resources for you on finding CG and setting tongue weight by axle placement.

Good luck, and I'm with Jeff, I want to see pictures as this progresses.

Steve S
Thanks, Steve! Again, I am working on pics and video!

I have seen the insulated firebox. The customer had a major complaint about not being able to sustain heat in the winter and he is using a lot of wood. I have seen some good video with insulate firebox ... but I will have to consider fire brick rather than the wool-type insulation.

Thanks!
Gary
exnailpounder

Gary, A better alternative to fire brick is alumina refractory. As I said before, I used to help my buddy re-line and insulate refractory furnaces and we never use fire brick. The material is made by a company called Redline, but there are probably more places that make it. Easy to use, mixes up like concrete and poured. You could get your qhole smoker set up and double walled, leave a hole at the top and pour it in instead of working with brick.
Boomer63

exnailpounder wrote:Gary, A better alternative to fire brick is alumina refractory. As I said before, I used to help my buddy re-line and insulate refractory furnaces and we never use fire brick. The material is made by a company called Redline, but there are probably more places that make it. Easy to use, mixes up like concrete and poured. You could get your qhole smoker set up and double walled, leave a hole at the top and pour it in instead of working with brick.
Ex - I MUST look into that! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Gary