What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
TOMOTFU
    Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 pm

Sorry guys, haven't figured out the little problem I'm having uploading pics yet but, this tig cooler is so simple you don't need pics.

Geez, the prices of store bought coolers are nuts. And, they are WAY more complicated than most of us need. I worked at a place in the past that ran welds on 1/2 aluminum 24/7 and all that old miller transformer had for a cooler was a 10 gal tank and a small gear pump. The coolant never got more than bathwater warm. There was enough surface area on the metal tank to cool the water thru convection.

So, until I make one like I just described I am using a $13 setup. Go to Harbor freight and buy their $13 submersible water pump ( http://www.harborfreight.com/200-gph-su ... 68372.html ), borrow your wife's stock pot (capacity 2-3 gals) Don't get fancy, just electrical tape the hose to the pump, drop it in and fill pot with water and plug it in to the electrical outlet.

There ya have it, all your water cooled gun needs, a steady flow of water. Just keep the water clean and topped off. Now you have time to build/buy one as fancy (or not) as you want. ;)

The only real drawback the pump has is a lack of pressure. It works great at the level of a workbench but if you are welding above your head or higher you might need a more powerful pump.

Errr, one more thing. Clamp the return hose inside the pot. Or yer gonna have a wet floor like me. :oops:
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

Good idea! If you keep the lines short and level you're good to go. Might serve as a temporary fix for someone working without their usual set of tools, too.
Dave
aka "RTFM"
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

Ive been noodling about how I could make a cooler that would be sufficient for anything ill ever need to do. I thought about using an old metal gas tank with a fuel pump. But the only problem with that is the return of hot water would have to be on the bottom cuz the pump would probably be on the top, otherwise I would just end up repumping the hot water. :?: :?: :?:
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

thatoneguy wrote:Ive been noodling about how I could make a cooler that would be sufficient for anything ill ever need to do. I thought about using an old metal gas tank with a fuel pump. But the only problem with that is the return of hot water would have to be on the bottom cuz the pump would probably be on the top, otherwise I would just end up repumping the hot water. :?: :?: :?:
There's a thought...

One might use a five-gallon portable tank for an outboard motor, and a J.C. Whitney fuel pump (higher pressure ones are available), run off a harbor freight battery charger, to get going on the cheap. The sump would be on the bottom, and the vent could be adapted for the return line.

Thinking out loud...

Steve S
TOMOTFU
    Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:28 pm

thatoneguy wrote:Ive been noodling about how I could make a cooler that would be sufficient for anything ill ever need to do. I thought about using an old metal gas tank with a fuel pump. But the only problem with that is the return of hot water would have to be on the bottom cuz the pump would probably be on the top, otherwise I would just end up repumping the hot water. :?: :?: :?:
In all honesty, I am relearning how to tig weld (haven't had access to a tig welder in 25 yrs) so I'm not able to push the welder to hard. I'm spending more time grinding tungsten right now. :x

But I spent about 3 hrs practicing on various .25 to .75 alum. with about 2 gals.of water in my pot and it couldn't feel a temp rise with my hand.

I think most folks would get by with 5 gals and a cheap pump. And if you had to really crank the amps you could always change water once or twice a day. Or add a dollar bag of ice. :lol:

I think the most important thing with this sort of setup is to have a METAL container with a bit of surface area to get rid of the heat. If you look at the factory made units, they have a little itty bitty finned cooling coil. I'll bet my pot has more surface area.

Anyhow, I just hope this helps someone out.
thatoneguy
    Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:08 pm

TOMOTFU wrote:
In all honesty, I am relearning how to tig weld (haven't had access to a tig welder in 25 yrs) so I'm not able to push the welder to hard. I'm spending more time grinding tungsten right now. :x

But I spent about 3 hrs practicing on various .25 to .75 alum. with about 2 gals.of water in my pot and it couldn't feel a temp rise with my hand.

I think most folks would get by with 5 gals and a cheap pump. And if you had to really crank the amps you could always change water once or twice a day. Or add a dollar bag of ice. :lol:

I think the most important thing with this sort of setup is to have a METAL container with a bit of surface area to get rid of the heat. If you look at the factory made units, they have a little itty bitty finned cooling coil. I'll bet my pot has more surface area.

Anyhow, I just hope this helps someone out.

I agree. I'm just gonna make one out of whatever tank I can get my hands on or I might make one of out stainless for some good practice!
Everlast Power I-MIG 275P
Everlast Power TIG 250EX
Everlast Power Plasma 80S
Lincoln AC/DC Tombstone
Smith OxyAcetylene