What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
LS Customs
    Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 pm

did all the laser cutting programming, etc... i learned how to operate the laser and how to use cad.. when i first built this bike, a couple years ago... i am always into a car project, harley or other silly stuff... so knowing how to program and make parts, helps and saves a ton of time and money... i have since, progressed to doing 3d cad etc
LS Customs

i didnt weld the really short/larger diameter tank, friend wanted me to add bungs to it... that came from mooneyes, or somewhere else... the polished tank is the first aluminum i welded and came out nice for the first time sitting down at the welder... made end caps for that...

just playing with the positioner and trying different speeds etc.... trying to be proficient and consistent at feeding wire at an increasingly faster speed, without compromising fusion, etc...

the filler cap bung for the tank with the trispoke looking cap, was the last thing i welded and i was able to feed the wire and weld it at a pretty fast pace, with proper fusion and dipping at a faster rate... very small bead also... so getting more comfortable as i sit down to practice each time
    Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Very nice!!!
I hope my learning curve is equally as steep!
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Beautiful work.

LSC, if you are new to this and that is the standard of work you are turning out, it's fair to say you probably have more natural talent in your toenail clippings than I have in my whole bod.

Well done, and thanks for posting lots of pics. I could look at stuff like this all day long.

Kym
LS Customs

Wolfgang wrote:Very nice!!!
I hope my learning curve is equally as steep!
MosquitoMoto wrote:Beautiful work.

LSC, if you are new to this and that is the standard of work you are turning out, it's fair to say you probably have more natural talent in your toenail clippings than I have in my whole bod.

Well done, and thanks for posting lots of pics. I could look at stuff like this all day long.

Kym
thank you!

played around in cad for the next few bits i will be welding up... this time tried to take it a little more seriously in hopes to sell the little tanks to help replenish welding materials, etc... also learning a bit more about fusion 360 and getting more comfortable with it as i go along...

i programmed the cap to be a small vent through the top... but fit a filter (1/8' npt) on the bottom to help prevent any vacuum issues with gas coming out the vent... grabbed the small vents from mcmaster car
LS Customs

and did a few other "designs" real quick... a couple that will mean something to specific people when they see them... either their favorite team, etc... sent my files off to my machinist (friend with cnc) to cut...

LS Customs

i also started playing around with the render functionality of the program... and will explore this on a way bigger scale in the near future with some crazier ideas of mine... most of this small stuff... or mini bike stuff, is simply easier for me to play with... but i am doing all this to be able to practice, while actually accomplishing something... that will translate well into the other hobbies i a into or things people often ask me to help them with that are more involving or expensive... like harleys, and race cars, etc...
LS Customs

and a couple of days later, i have my hands on my parts... just waiting for some 4943 to try out (should have within a couple f days)... and will weld these up with that...

LS Customs

LS Customs

going to make about 6 or 7 tanks and see if anyone will buy them, for a nice price
LS Customs

got one welded up...

LS Customs

for this set of "tanks" I designed the end caps to match the filler cap... but i had the intention of smoothing out the welds around the end caps to make it appear one piece...

there seems to be info all over the place on this.. i welded this particular tank with 5356... i do have some 4943 coming and will more than likely be using that on anything that will not get a coating, as it is supposedly better/stronger/etc... not sure if it is necessary...

question is, what is the actual "rule" if any, as it relates to grinding/sanding down the welds on something like this... that may hold fuel or oil, etc... is there a way, other than to continue to gain experience and confidence with tig welding, where i can test, or tell if something should crack? is this something that happens right away, or can happen over time and without warning? with proper fusion, i should be able to smooth the weld polish or brush the material for a nice consistent finish and be fairly confident it will not crack? I do and will check for leaks under pressure (i checked this tank for leaks, there are none)... just trying to figure out how to gain confidence in what im trying to do as i go along, without having to wait for something to crack etc, if that makes sense... theoretically and hopefully nothing would... but i would like a way to tell for sure, if possible...

or is the hard fast rule that i should not ever... i have also designed two piece end caps, where the tank would be welded up and welds not touched and end caps bolted on too... but for these next several parts, i wanted to weld the end caps on... i would weld ends on the tank counter sunk, where the end cap would butt up against straight edges on the tank and be a nice uniform seam... i think i will go with this, for future if these go to new homes... but would like to have a decent answer before i smooth any welds off these next few parts...

will push a flat end cap in for the future ones and then weld a blind bung to bolt the end cap too, so i dont have to worry about this when building these in the future

and then bolt on the end cap
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

If you know ahead of time you are going to grind it flush then it's a good idea to prep it to an open but weld. I.E. a gap and also bevel back the parts as mush as you reasonably can. This will leave lots of weld material even after you blend in the top.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
LS Customs

Poland308 wrote:If you know ahead of time you are going to grind it flush then it's a good idea to prep it to an open but weld. I.E. a gap and also bevel back the parts as mush as you reasonably can. This will leave lots of weld material even after you blend in the top.
i thought about that too... i will bevel the rest of the tanks i make with these end caps, and if i do more of them, ill make the end caps set in on the tank ends... and make the caps bolt on... i am doing a custom tank for a friend like that... and should have done them all, it is a pain to smooth all these welds out... in my current (painful) state...

but here it is one roughed in

LS Customs

welded another one today.. tried out some 4943...

LS Customs

the 4943 does seem to weld different than the other rods... and the appearance is different too... but welded nicely...

LS Customs

LS Customs

and another... i have a friend who like this team, lol, so im sure he will want it when he sees it...

Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

What you are doing is really cool. I see you mentioned using the 4943, do you know if it can be anodized?
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

Jakedaawg wrote:What you are doing is really cool. I see you mentioned using the 4943, do you know if it can be anodized?
I've never seen anyone ask, but being that it has silicon in it like 4043, the end result would likely be the same. The reason 5356 doesn't turn black is because it has magnesium as the alloying element vs silicon.

Hobart lists the color after anodizing ad Grey, just like 4943. 5356 lists as white.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-