What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:38 pm

My Tig cooler developed growth over about a year, likely fungal ...I procrastinated and then one of my quick disconnects developed a leak...likely from electrolysis . I Took everything apart, cleaned and am almost done repairing everything.
When I dumped the tank, the water was very cloudy and I had residue on the tank sides. I will be cleaning out the lines on a pail next . I've got 9 gallons of distilled water but i'm thinking about some kind of anti fungal / anti bacterial for the water . The smell was stinky like feet ...probably fungal but i donno. I had about 10% RV antifreeze in there , im going with just straight distilled this time. The glycols in the RV stuff is likely what the germs grew in .

Anyway, I was thinking about adding something used in aquariums to prevent fungus but not sure.
Anyone use an anti fungal in their coolers ? Please comment .

Thanks , Steve
-----------------------------------
1BrassFitting.jpg
1BrassFitting.jpg (30.49 KiB) Viewed 963 times
2BrassFitting.jpg
2BrassFitting.jpg (44.53 KiB) Viewed 963 times
3NewMotor.jpg
3NewMotor.jpg (108.02 KiB) Viewed 963 times
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

The cloudy crap is a definite sign of electrolysis. You might try adding an sacrificial anode rod in your tank. Or someplace you can monitor the decay rate.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

I had a chrome plated socket over the intake hose as a weight to keep it near the bottom . That socket looked like it was at the bottom of the ocean for a few hundred years ...about 1/8" was eaten away all the way around it . I was careful to use only stainless everywhere this time . Even the 10-32 bolts that hold the pump to the lid were corroded . The stainless was fine.
I understand the clouds being the dissolved corrosion , but the smell was definitely some kind of growth.
I'd like to prevent that this time .
-----------------------------
Electrolysis.jpg
Electrolysis.jpg (64.25 KiB) Viewed 948 times
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

You could try adding some hydrogen peroxide once a month or so. It's a great antifungal but it degrades fairly rapidly. Just make sure you run your cooler for about 20 minutes after you add it. It's gonna turn into H2O after that.
Other than that you can do what I did and just pony up the cash for a couple of gallons of miller coolant. It's qbout $45/galon but you aren't going to have any problems associated with using it.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Miller coolmate 10 yrs city tap water and green ethylene glycol AF 50/50 mix never been added to or changed,still nice green clear -20* protection. Lots of 250+ plus amp welding.
K.I.S.S.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)

I should have used the toxic stuff ...haha . I think the RV antifreeze caused the growth .
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Check with any place that does water treatment for boilers or cooling towers. They will have some additives that will inhibit corrosion and keep the alge and bacteria away. For a system that small it will only take a few drops.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Weldorwes
    Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:19 am

Rv antifreeze from Wal-Mart. Its pink do not dilute been using it for years with 0 problems kiss

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk