What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
xrotate
    Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Hello,

First I wanted to say a big thank you to Jody and everyone on these forums (and a couple other forums as well). I've been lurking and picking up ideas and tips on how to "do it better". All the videos and posts have helped me immensely. So thank you one and all and apologies in advance for the long post.

Quick background: I was a machinist for almost 20 years so I was always around welding. I learned the basics and did odd/one-off jobs using MIG, Stick and a little TIG. Not certified in any way. (My welds are from the Gorilla school as one guy put it. Big, Strong and ugly) I moved out of the machining trade about 10 years ago and I'm now an IT consultant. I still love to design, fab and build though.

So, a while ago I wanted to build an aluminum rack for my truck. I have access to a shop with a Millermatic 250 MIG and a Syncrowave 250 TIG. Both are older machines, functional but with a few problems each. The Syncrowave has leaks. From the flowmeter, which I replaced, another argon leak from "somewhere else: (Probably the solenoid.) and a small water leak on the big 18 torch. The MIG needs the liner and regulator replaced. A more experienced welder would have been able to overcome these problems but for me it was turning into a constant battle, especially when trying to TIG weld aluminum.

Rather than spend money on the older machines (which aren't mine) I decided I "needed" a TIG welder (preferably an inverter with a lot of the newer features, pulse, frequency, etc.) which led to deciding I needed a MIG welder(with a spool gun) which led to buying a plasma cutter. (just to round things out, :D )

First let me say, I'm a big Miller fan and if I was in the trades, welding for a living, I probably would have bought all Miller equipment, but being for mostly "hobbyist" work, I just couldn't justify the price. So that's why I chose the equipment I did.

Current equipment is:

Everlast Powertig 250ex w/ water cooler (upgraded SSC foot pedal, CK20-SF-FX torch. 18 series torch that came with the machine.)
Hobart Handler 190 w/ spool gun (Kind of wish I had bought the 210 MVP but oh well.)
Longevity ForceCut 40d plasma cutter.

Well, after buying the equipment, I realized the $80 HotMax cart I bought (which BTW is barely useful for the light plasma cutter) just wasn't going to cut it and the weld cart project began.

All the cart "frame" was built with 1.25, 11ga square tubing. Processes used were, TIG (Tacking, end caps and small parts, because that's what Jody does :lol: ), MIG (C25 gas, .035 wire for the main construction due to speed and that's what was in the Millermatic 250) and Flux Core (They had to take the Millermatic out on a job, I didn't have a tank for the Hobart yet and I had always wanted to try welding with flux core.)

And here are some pics.

Just the empty cart. No pics of actual construction as Jody's videos have that well covered.

Wired for both welders and the plasma cutter. Which I will probably wind up putting on the cart at some point. Also shown is the bracket for holding clamps, grinders, etc.

I wanted an angle design shelf for the welders so had to put a back stop to keep them from sliding off.

Needless to say but I like lead/jacket/helmet holders. The cart has (8) of the plate/pipe ones, the main handle and (2) pipe ones under the main handle.

Mig gun holder idea I unashamedly borrowed from someones post.

After making a filler rod holder (which was right after seeing Jody's video on the subject. :idea: ) I had to have somewhere to keep it.

Chain and banjo slot setup for the gas tanks.

I designed the cart for (2) of the large 330 CF tanks. One straight Argon and one C25 mix.

Not a great pic but this is a 1/4 NPT 6-port manifold. (Which BTW was only $16 from Home Depot.) Once I get all the ball valves, check valves and weld gas hose fittings in, all gas lines will run through it. This will allow me to add purge lines, Helium tank if needed, etc.

Now we're getting somewhere

What can I say, had to have a tool box to keep consumables, etc. in.

OK, these last two are of my "what can I do to make my cart special" idea. This happened right after someone (not me) left the gas on the Syncrowave and it leaked all the argon out. I decided to be nice and take it to the LWS. I had also forgotten how heavy those 330's can be even empty, so... One bottle loading ramp... :mrgreen:

Well thanks for making it this far. I'd also like to list a few musings I had along the way.

Never let a machinist design a welded anything. This was over the top and will probably be the last weld cart I ever build.

All welds do NOT needs to be sanded flush to look like one solid piece of metal. (That came from the machinist in me. :roll: )

Stepping down 1 size in tubing (Jody used 1.5 11ga) and using 4 times the amount of steel does NOT equal a savings in weight. This cart is freaking heavy.

TIG fingers really are worth the money. (Shameless plug for Jody.)

You only get better at welding by practice and listening to those with more experience.

Is the design or are the welds perfect? Nope
Is it what I wanted and is it mine? Hell yes.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

:shock: Nice freakin cart man! If you hadn't stated you are a machinist, I would have suspected it anyway :lol: Bravo!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Nice! I like it. Especially like the bottle ramp. Great idea.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Well done. You defiantly put some thought into it.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Nice cart to say the least, we now expect nothing less on your forth coming project. :lol:
Richard
Website
w2a
  • w2a
    Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:05 pm

I agree, nice job on the cart. I am very new at welding(hobbyist) and anticipate building a cart as one of my first projects. Unlikely to be engineered quite as heavily as yours but we'll see how that goes. :lol:
BTW I just got a Hobart 190 w/spool gun as well. My first welder and should see me through many projects.

Craig B
    Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 am

My first thought before I got to some of the captions in the photos:
That looks really nice but it also looks heavy as F@$&!

Keep up the good work but don't EVER let that beast roll over your toes.
Raymond
Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT
xrotate
    Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks for all the great replies.

Would have replied sooner but I've been in the mountains for the past week. :D
LtBadd wrote:Nice cart to say the least, we now expect nothing less on your forth coming project. :lol:
Yeah, one of my first thoughts after finishing this was "What the hell do I build now." :?

w2a wrote:I agree, nice job on the cart. I am very new at welding(hobbyist) and anticipate building a cart as one of my first projects. Unlikely to be engineered quite as heavily as yours but we'll see how that goes. :lol:
BTW I just got a Hobart 190 w/spool gun as well. My first welder and should see me through many projects.

Craig B
Good luck on your cart (looking forward to seeing pics.) and you never know. Some projects just seem to take on a life of their own if you let them. :twisted:

I like the 190, the only reasons I mentioned the 210 were the dual voltage and it would let me use the spool gun on slightly thicker aluminum.

Neither one would ever make as "nice" a weld on aluminum as TIG (at least not in my hands) but for some situations I can see the spool gun coming in handy.

But, it's not reason enough to justify me getting rid of the 190 though and I look forward to using it for hopefully many years to come.
RamboBaby wrote:My first thought before I got to some of the captions in the photos:
That looks really nice but it also looks heavy as F@$&!

Keep up the good work but don't EVER let that beast roll over your toes.
No kidding. By the end, it was more a case of the cart man-handling me rather than me man-handling it.

Anyway, thanks again all and I look forward to using the forum and checking out all the great ideas and suggestions.
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

I had a welding table years ago that had a lot of bells and whistles on it, but I had something you don't!! LOL! I had a moveable holder for my bottles of Boone's Farm Wine; the welders helper, back in the day. Hey man! I over-engineer everything I build. I think it looks great!
Gary
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i don't think you can ever "over engineer" a project.
every time i build something, when i am finished,
i always seem to find something i could have added
to make it better.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Boomer63
    Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:52 am

motox wrote:i don't think you can ever "over engineer" a project.
every time i build something, when i am finished,
i always seem to find something i could have added
to make it better.
craig
Sir, you are correct! There is no substitute for having the tools or supplies you need at your fingertips. Why not make life easy?
PhillerTime
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 am

Looks great!
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Nice one!

It doesn't seem over-engineer or inelegant to me, as its obviously designed to do exactly what you want and not much more or less. I might have even been tempted to put one more shelf above the units.

I like your choice of having the ability to put at least two units on the top shelf while also facing the same as the side-draw tool cabinent. I have a side-draw welding cabinent which mostly only allows for one larger unit to face forward, but my space is more limited.

I also like the vertical tendency shown. Vertical saves floor space.

And, of course, your choice of integrating some diamond plate (or/and expanded metal) into any project proves that your design accumen is superior to that of your peers. Ha, ha, ha... Not really, but its just a favorite material and choice of mine.

So, what are you going to do for a paint finish? I saw photos of cool custom cart recently with a Rustoleum "hammered" and somewhat two-color paint finish that was pretty cool. I think the guy even told me it was brushed on, surprisingly.
Last edited by C. Livingstone on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
welder1958
    Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Nice cart. I'm in the process of building one but mine won't be that elaborate. Not sure if I'll post any pictures of it because my welds suck for now. Still practicing..... haha
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Very nice cart, well thought out. I have a new machine coming and you sir have given me some really good ideas that I just might "borrow". The bottle ramp is ingenious. One question, where does the beer cooler go?
exnailpounder

Rudy Ray wrote:Very nice cart, well thought out. I have a new machine coming and you sir have given me some really good ideas that I just might "borrow". The bottle ramp is ingenious. One question, where does the beer cooler go?
You have to design your cart AROUND the beer cooler. I been kicking around how to build a beer cooler/tig cooler that could handle both jobs at once without the beer getting warm :?
pscampsr
    Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

All you need is a hoist to handle the gas bottles and a motor to push that big thing around... Other than that, it is really well built, the design is good and it will be something you can pass down to your grand children. I like it very much.
PSCampSr

America will be free until the electorate discovers that it can feed at the public trough.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Nice, but you should have added a steel rack while you were at it. :D Seriously though, nice job. 8-)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Rudy Ray wrote:Very nice cart, well thought out. I have a new machine coming and you sir have given me some really good ideas that I just might "borrow". The bottle ramp is ingenious. One question, where does the beer cooler go?
You have to design your cart AROUND the beer cooler. I been kicking around how to build a beer cooler/tig cooler that could handle both jobs at once without the beer getting warm :?
Easy. Use the cooling coil of your TIG unit as the heat source for an ammonia-cycle refrigerator, like from an RV. The hotter/harder/faster you weld, the colder your beer gets!
8-)

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Easy. Use the cooling coil of your TIG unit as the heat source for an ammonia-cycle refrigerator, like from an RV. The hotter/harder/faster you weld, the colder your beer gets!
8-)

Steve S
That I could probably do but ...where do I put the straw? :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote: That I could probably do but ...where do I put the straw? :lol:
In your mouth! :D :P
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Beer and straws don't go togeather except in emergencies.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: That I could probably do but ...where do I put the straw? :lol:
:lol: You got me there!.lol. Maybe to simplify things I can just weld up a bracket for my hood like those baseball helmets with the beer holders on the sides :lol: The first part of having a problem is admitting you have a problem so figuring out a beer delivery system would technically a 12 step program...right?? :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
:lol: You got me there!.lol. Maybe to simplify things I can just weld up a bracket for my hood like those baseball helmets with the beer holders on the sides :lol: The first part of having a problem is admitting you have a problem so figuring out a beer delivery system would technically a 12 step program...right?? :lol:
Or just put the OP's cart on your helmet with a large cooler attached on the bottom shelf. :lol:
exnailpounder

:lol: