What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
Notapro
    Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks exnailpounder, a stainless one would be nice, you gave me an idea to make one.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Where do you guys find the copper to make things like this?
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
Notapro

I bought at an auction, They thought it was steel rod, but it was three 12 foot lengths of 3/8" copper in a cardboard tube. Lucky day at the auction.

Jakedaawg wrote:Where do you guys find the copper to make things like this?
jake
You don't specify in your profile where your located, if you're in the US and happen to be near a Alro Metals drop shop, that is one source.
There are online metals suppliers, but it won't be cheap. Example, onlinemetals.com if you sign up for their newsletter you'll receive monthly discounts
Richard
Website
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Those were probably grounding rods. You could get them at any Home Depot or major chain stores for electrical supply shop.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Poland308 wrote:Those were probably grounding rods. You could get them at any Home Depot or major chain stores for electrical supply shop.
Josh, I thought that the copper grounding rods from HD were solid copper too but at the store I was at they were only copper plated. I even remarked about it to my electrician friend about how dangerous it would be to have a grounding rod decay after a few years and he told me to get pure copper you need to go to an electrical supply house. By coincidence I have to go to HD today, I will check the rods out and update. My friend told me they were copper plated .
Last edited by exnailpounder on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Update...I didn't go to HD but went to Lowe's and their grounding rods are, in fact, copper plated steel alloy.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

All the grounding rods I've ever run across (including 12 years as an electrician) have been copper plated steel.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Guess they cheap out sometimes. They usually keep both kinds on hand here. We have Menards around here too I've gotten them there before as well. I used some for a project I had to make a grate I cut the bars out of a couple and brazed them up with oxy.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Notapro

It was a machine shop auction I got them from. I have also seen grounding rods, typically they are copper coated steel.