What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I made this exhaust fan a some years ago using a Craftsman tool stand. I bought a squirrel cage blower off of ebay to make it functional. It was a 3 speed motor and I didn't have the controller so I did some research and fancy wiring with 3-way switches and got all 3 speeds to work. Really didn't need to do that because without the restriction of an air filter it in hardly noticeable.

Here it is:
Dscf2827-a.jpg
Dscf2827-a.jpg (33.46 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
Made from:
spin_prod_209054601.jpg
spin_prod_209054601.jpg (28.76 KiB) Viewed 2065 times
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Very neat build. You cannot get too much ventilation in a shop. Lots of light -very important. Must have been interesting wireing the 3 speed switches. :)
electrode

Thanks. On the wiring I had seen a video on Youtube where the guy did the same thing with a 3 speed motor but he didn't offer a schematic or instructions on how he wired it. I asked for a schematic but as usual, he never answered. :x Of course I only waited an hour and went out and bought 3 of the 3-way switches and sat at the kitchen table with a multi-meter and figured it out. It really ended up pretty straight forward and easy. I made a drawing for future reference but don't know where I put it. That always happens when you put something in a really safe place. :mrgreen:
doc58
    Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:11 am

That's a very neat and professional looking fan unit there.

Nice job.
Doc

weldcorp intelliweld 80
CIGWeld Weldskill 130
TL-WM 130 flux core welder
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Boom! I love it when people re-purpose things...Nice work!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
electrode

Thanks guys. It is nice to know some people appreciate other peoples handy work.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Actualy looks like something you could pick up at Ikea. :shock:
electrode

:D Ikea huh? I take that as a compliment. ;) The only thing I would have done different would to have bent all the lower panels a 1/4" and bend them in my brake to get rid of the sharp edge. But seeing I am the only one using it I only got cut once when I wasn't paying 100% attention and reaching for the switch. :x :oops:
Bumblebee
    Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:39 pm

Nice build and if anyone need a drawing for 3 speed fan wiring contact me and I'll sure help you wire it up. Be sure and tell me voltage as a lot of HVAC fans are cap start and 220 volt to operate. The neat thing about them they can easily be between 800 to 1200 or more cfm if you can get the cage to. Contact any of the smaller HVAC contractors and as a rule they give or sell you one from the scrap file for low cost. I have a few so if you contact me just pay the shipping and ill send you one.
pscampsr
    Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:27 am

It is very well done. You might think about using car door edge protector on the sharp edges. It cuts to length and just snaps on. Or poly-flow plastic tubing, slit it to slip over the edge. It is really tough (handles 5000 psi) and will give a nice round edge. Just a thought.
PSCampSr

America will be free until the electorate discovers that it can feed at the public trough.
electrode

pscampsr wrote:It is very well done. You might think about using car door edge protector on the sharp edges. It cuts to length and just snaps on. Or poly-flow plastic tubing, slit it to slip over the edge. It is really tough (handles 5000 psi) and will give a nice round edge. Just a thought.
Thanks. I thought about edge protector but haven't got around to sourcing it. I guess Autozone may even sell it. I have slit tubing and rubber hose quite a few times like for making grommets for things etc but it is always tricky to do a long piece without bleeding or fighting the coil memory. :o I will look into the door edge protector on this one. :)