What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

So, I bought a Fronius TIG welder and started practising. No prior experience, but I have spent a lot of time watching videos on how to weld. The way Jody shares his experience is amazing. Such a wealth of good information.

After getting the Fronius I soon realized that a metal band saw would be a great asset in the garage. I found one, but the stand that came with it was rather flimsy. Then I decised that my first poject will be a new stand for the band saw.

Here it goes :-)

The band saw with the stand that came with it:

The first item on the list was to start practising laying down beads.

Then cutting the parts for the stand.

Then welding the top frame together.

Checking the angle.

Top of frame completed.

Detail of the weld.

Next was to drill some holes for the attachments screws.

Then get the holes threaded.

Then get the legs welded on. This caused some gray hairs. I wanted the legs to angle a bit out. Both sideways and fore/aft in order to make the stand more stable.

Stand finished. By pure luck, I guess, it was standing straight.

Painted the frame in the same color as the Fronius.

Pretty happy with the finished result :-)

Sent from my Commodore 64
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Rusts a nice stand you built there and a nice selection of tools to start off with.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

great job! using a tool that moves around sucks.
also nice welding table (jealous)
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

Farmwelding wrote:Rusts a nice stand you built there and a nice selection of tools to start off with.
I have wanted to learn to weld for as long as I can remember. Now having turned 50, I decided it was time. I also decided to get proper equipment. The Fronius and the Siegmund welding table is kind of an overkill for a hobby welder, but this was my gift to myself for surviving for a half hundred years :-) If I decide to stop welding I think all this should be very easy to sell again without loosing to much money..

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nice work. Love that table.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Great result from a first attempt.
My only comment would be put wheels on it, I have found wheels very handy on my band saw.
Nice table.
Cheers
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Well done, and extra credit for making angled legs and not just taking the easy straight path.
So, what are you up to the next 50 years now that you have learned welding? :mrgreen:
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Looks good -Clean and functional. Angled stuff always make it more interesting. :) I just noticed your original bench had trailing wheels and a swing up handle. Couple of X braces on each side would stiffen it up to make a little tool cart or something. Just thinking :?:
jrporter
    Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:16 pm

EtroniX - nice stand! I just joined the forum this morning, and the first thing I did was a search for bandsaw stands. You must have posted right after I did my search. I have a HF 4X6 that needs the stand replaced. I may not copy your design, as I already have casters and a bunch of angle I want to use, but thanks for the inspiration. Seeing your work might be the kick in the rear I need to get going. :)
I have a multipurpose machine (only used Mig so far) and am getting ready to try Tig for the first time - double inspiration!
exnailpounder

Somebodies been practicing aluminum welding. I see that big chunk of practice laying on the floor near your cycle lift. We are shop snoopers here...you've been warned :lol:
motox

don't make excuses about what tools you buy, buy the best you can afford
and maybe you will only have to do it once.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

exnailpounder wrote: We are shop snoopers here.. :lol:
And you Sir, are the undisputed master of that art :mrgreen:
exnailpounder

AndersK wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: And I think of it more like a sport than an art...lol
Last edited by exnailpounder on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
motox

we need a new thread " send in your shop photos and have Jeff find
the hidden treasures" lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

AndersK wrote:
If Jeff shows up at your front door, don't let him in :lol:
Richard
Website
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

LtBadd wrote:
AndersK wrote:
You might not get a choice.

"Are you finished with this door?" ;)

Kym
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

motox wrote:don't make excuses about what tools you buy, buy the best you can afford
and maybe you will only have to do it once.
craig
Amen!!!
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Have a look that the rouges gallery picture of Jeff. If Jeff turns up at your door, you are about to have a very good day or a very very bad one. (Hi Jeff, the cases of beer are on the way mate.)

LtBadd wrote:
AndersK wrote:
He would be welcome at my house

(I don't have any tools in my house :mrgreen: )

jrporter wrote:EtroniX - nice stand! I just joined the forum this morning, and the first thing I did was a search for bandsaw stands. You must have posted right after I did my search. I have a HF 4X6 that needs the stand replaced. I may not copy your design, as I already have casters and a bunch of angle I want to use, but thanks for the inspiration. Seeing your work might be the kick in the rear I need to get going. :)
I have a multipurpose machine (only used Mig so far) and am getting ready to try Tig for the first time - double inspiration!
If my first project is an inspiration, by all means go ahead :-)

exnailpounder wrote:Somebodies been practicing aluminum welding. I see that big chunk of practice laying on the floor near your cycle lift. We are shop snoopers here...you've been warned :lol:
A lot of practise :-) and lots to learn...
exnailpounder

EtronX wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Somebodies been practicing aluminum welding. I see that big chunk of practice laying on the floor near your cycle lift. We are shop snoopers here...you've been warned :lol:
It looks like you are well on your way there my friend. You have some nice toys to play with.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Just a thought. Any solid fixtures that I have built ( work stands -stoves etc. ) with 4 legs I put 2 leveler screws on one side at the feet. With a solid structure no matter how accurate you build it the floor under is seldom perfect. That way if you move your saw around a quick turn of a bolt will fix any wobble. Also as was mentioned -wheels are a marvelous tool. All my movable fixtures have wheels and its easy to reconfigure the shop for whatever project your working on. :idea:

exnailpounder wrote:
EtronX wrote:
It looks like you are well on your way there my friend. You have some nice toys to play with.
Thank you, exnailpounder :-) I am having a lot of fun. Tried on some Stanley blades today. The one to the left is the first try. Second on the right.

homeboy wrote:Just a thought. Any solid fixtures that I have built ( work stands -stoves etc. ) with 4 legs I put 2 leveler screws on one side at the feet. With a solid structure no matter how accurate you build it the floor under is seldom perfect. That way if you move your saw around a quick turn of a bolt will fix any wobble. Also as was mentioned -wheels are a marvelous tool. All my movable fixtures have wheels and its easy to reconfigure the shop for whatever project your working on. :idea:
I was thinking about putting some leveler screws in, but the material in the square tubing is pretty thin. I also thought about welding in some small nuts for adjustments, but also disregarded that due to the size of screw that would fit inside.

The band saw will have its own place in the garage. I don`t think I will be moving it around much. Maybe some wheels after a while. Time will show.