What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
PhillerTime
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 am

I recently finished a version of Jody's downdraft table design. Works great for plasma cutting and even capturing flux-cored welding smoke. I don't have a fume extractor so I used Jody's suggestion with a cheap fan and duct from HF. I'm learning how to weld so my joints look like "Fido's you know what..." The sheet metal is 14gauge and the 2" tubing is 13gauge (left over parts from a table base). Debris falls into a sheet metal drawer behind a hinged door on the front of the table.
downdraft-right.jpg
downdraft-right.jpg (52.17 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
downdraft-left.jpg
downdraft-left.jpg (41.47 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
One of the many memorable challenges was making a flange to attach the hose to the box base. By trial and error, I used a ball-peen hammer to curve the sheet metal into enough of a ring shape.
Ball peen hammer to the rescue.
Ball peen hammer to the rescue.
8ring.jpg (84.5 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
Self-shielded flux-cored smokeless
Self-shielded flux-cored smokeless
smokeless-fluxcored.png (509.97 KiB) Viewed 7437 times
Thanks Jody for a great design and helpful instructional videos!
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

Hey,

That's a pretty ambitious and functional project for a new welder, and it's a clever solution for keeping a garage less smokey.

Nice job on it, too!
Peace be with you all,
Christian Livingstone
www.youtube.com/newjerusalemtimes

Everlast AC/DC 210EXT (2015)
CAT250D DC-TIG/Plasma Combo
PhillerTime

Thanks! If I could change one thing, I would use thicker wall tubing or angle iron for the top frame.
doc58
    Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:11 am

Great looking table there.
Doc

weldcorp intelliweld 80
CIGWeld Weldskill 130
TL-WM 130 flux core welder
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Very nicely done.

Kym
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I wish I had this for plasma cutting. What a nightmare if I get stuck doing it inside. Get to taste metal for 2 days....Nice work there sir!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I do not care what your welds look like in this case that is a pretty nice and square build. That is the first half of the welding right there. The fit up and cleaning. Everything after that is useless without that skill which you have down pretty good for a beginner.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Great job and a nice project too. If you make another one sometimes you will find out the first one ends up being the better one. ;)
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

How much downdraft do you get?
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

I like, great work.
PhillerTime

rahtreelimbs wrote:How much downdraft do you get?
I don't know how to measure the actual pull at the top of the table. I did do what Jody did in his Youtube video with lighting a paper towel placed at the top of the table. To my delight, all the smoke and fumes were pulled down but as the paper burned and drifted down to the cone, to my horror, I watched all the ash and sparks get blasted out of the end of the fan onto the driveway. Later on I successfully tested the downdraft function with welding flux core wire, I videoed the event and uploaded a screen shot in the first post. I need to test it with stick welding too. I didn't have to wear my respirator but in the future I probably should. Honestly I think this ventilator fan 0.22hp is just barely enough to get by. I've been contemplating removing my 1.5hp blower from my cyclone wood dust collector to use but then again maybe it would pull too hard and blow metal dust onto the driveway. If you want to me try some other tests for the downdraft capability let me know.

Tonight I clamped on some scrap sheet metal pieces from an old Sears radial arm sheet metal stand to help deflect grinding and cutting debris from angle grinding and abrasive saw cuts. Seems to capture 97% of the sparks but the garage really stinks after making a single cut. I think the abrasive blade glue burning makes it smell bad.
Clamped on angled sheet metal deflectors for grinding and cutting.  Helps a lot.
Clamped on angled sheet metal deflectors for grinding and cutting. Helps a lot.
sparkshields.jpg (67.98 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
PhillerTime

Thank you all for your encouraging comments!
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Knock-off of Jody's downdraft table
Postby exnailpounder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm

I wish I had this for plasma cutting. What a nightmare if I get stuck doing it inside. Get to taste metal for 2 days....Nice work there sir!

jeff
just head to the liquor store I'm sure you'll find one at someones curb..lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

motox wrote:Re: Knock-off of Jody's downdraft table
Postby exnailpounder » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:27 pm

jeff
just head to the liquor store I'm sure you'll find one at someones curb..lol
craig
:lol: Oh I been watching that house Craig like a vulture at a gut pile. I will conquer their garbage!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.