What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I made a tig filler rod holder cart some years ago and once I filled it up I had to make another one. Here are the internals:
DSCF0513.jpg
DSCF0513.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 2485 times
I will be back later with a finished pic of both carts as I don't seem to have one on my pc. :roll: I'm back. :D
Dscf2890r.jpg
Dscf2890r.jpg (75.4 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Dscf2891r.jpg
Dscf2891r.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 2476 times

Looks good, do the tubes pull out?
Richard
Website
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Theres something wrong with some one that is that organized...must be a machinist :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

LOL ... I didn't see lower bit of the bottom picture without scrolling. I WAS gonna say if you're truly organized you won't use a sharpy to write on the contents but buy a Dymo labeler or such and print labels :lol:

Looks great though. I made something similar but a single column of about 6 tubes. Outgrown it some time ago and need to revisit
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
electrode

LtBadd wrote:Looks good, do the tubes pull out?
Nope, the first part of the assembly was pvc cementing the lower cap in place. :)
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:Theres something wrong with some one that is that organized...must be a machinist :lol:
Yes, that and every other thing it seems. I am the "Jack of all trades, master of none" guy. :D
electrode

Rupes wrote:LOL ... I didn't see lower bit of the bottom picture without scrolling. I WAS gonna say if you're truly organized you won't use a sharpy to write on the contents but buy a Dymo labeler or such and print labels :lol:

Looks great though. I made something similar but a single column of about 6 tubes. Outgrown it some time ago and need to revisit
Yeah, I had my wife write on the caps on my first one as I would have screwed it up somehow with a mistake or sloppy printing or a sharpie that had a flattened fat tip. :) Then I got the Brother P-Touch and that thing is great. I will make labels for the first one too when I get around to it.If I went down to the shop right now to do that, about 20 other things would happen and when I got there I would forget why I went down there.. :lol:
exnailpounder

I have to dig through the tubes on the back of my welder where I have my 308, 309, 316 and 347 all neatly shoved into the same tube. I get to try to read that little stamp on the rod. Or I go to my tube for ER70, ER80 and SilBr all mixed in...I have grabbed a SilBr rod , thinking it was ER and only noticed when I lit up. My floor is clean though :lol:
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

Its my new years resolution to be more organized and stop throwing shit in boxes.

I started labeling contents and organizing into job types. It is pretty nice to walk in and find something in 10 seconds. I thought I was just being nerdy about it all till I saw some of those Festool guys.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
exnailpounder

Rupes wrote:Its my new years resolution to be more organized and stop throwing shit in boxes.

I started labeling contents and organizing into job types. It is pretty nice to walk in and find something in 10 seconds. I thought I was just being nerdy about it all till I saw some of those Festool guys.
I have tried to organize and I have gotten better but when I get busy and focused on something, I will set something down, and I tell myself that I need to remember where I set it down, and completely forget where I set it 5 minutes later. I lost my aluminum brush and have been losing my mind looking for it...I never pay attention to it until I need to weld aluminum and then can't find it...like yesterday...I need to stop getting old :lol:

electrode wrote:
Nope, the first part of the assembly was pvc cementing the lower cap in place. :)
So what do you do with a 1/2 or even 3/4 of a rod, if you put it back into the tube you won't be able to get it out??
Richard
Website
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:
So what do you do with a 1/2 or even 3/4 of a rod, if you put it back into the tube you won't be able to get it out??
He sends them to me and I weld them back together and use'em :lol:
electrode

Yes, getting old does suck...But here is what I do with the short pieces.
Dscf2895r.jpg
Dscf2895r.jpg (60.31 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Never mind the rust on the welding table as I have yet to clean it up again, but I made a little ground clamp attachment (not pictured) that works pretty well but is a work in progress. ;)
Last edited by electrode on Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exnailpounder

I'm stealing your railroad spike third hand idea and claiming it as my own :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:I'm stealing your railroad spike third hand idea and claiming it as my own :lol:
I am going to have to make a phone call. :lol:
exnailpounder

:lol:
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

Now why would a welder use wood to make anything? :shock:
exnailpounder

Rudy Ray wrote:Now why would a welder use wood to make anything? :shock:
Maybe cause he's a goddamned machinist posing as a welder :lol:
Rudy Ray

exnailpounder wrote:
Now why would a machinist use wood to build anything? :D
electrode

I had a lot of wood left over from building some cabinets for my wife and I didn't have any steel laying around. :mrgreen:
electrode

Rudy Ray wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Now why would a machinist use wood to build anything? :D
Because he used to be a woodworker. Actually being a jack of all trades gives you many options. I bought my first TIG welder in June of 2008 and that is when I built the first filler holder (out of wood). I may have done it before the machine was delivered or shortly after. I built the second one to match the first one. :) I do powder coating too but I don't powder coat everything. ;) :lol: And I built my own powder coat oven but not out of wood. I did build the spray booth out of wood though. :P
Rudy Ray

Just giving a hard time. As a welder, you should expect no less out of me.
electrode

Rudy Ray wrote:Just giving a hard time. As a welder, you should expect no less out of me.
I knew that. :D So you use filler rod for tooth picks? :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

electrode wrote:
Rudy Ray wrote:Just giving a hard time. As a welder, you should expect no less out of me.
I use a .040 pure tungsten, myself. One end is pointed, the other ground flat like a screwdriver. Works great! 8-)

Steve S
electrode

Otto Nobedder wrote:
electrode wrote:
I use a .040 pure tungsten, myself. One end is pointed, the other ground flat like a screwdriver. Works great! 8-)

Steve S
I figured somebody was gonna say that... :evil: This guy used thoriated:
jaws.jpg
jaws.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 2153 times