What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I used to live in Wisconsin, was born and raised there, so I know about cold and wind chills. I remember working on my snowmobile in the garage in 20 or 30 below weather with a blizzard outside. The Kerosene heater was not even helping and the gloves had to come off to work the tools better. I do miss snowmobiling and ice fishing though. :D

p.s. Great job on the repair!
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Nice work! Glad it wasn't me laying in that snow..lol. Worked outside my whole life and hot/cold never bothered me much but now that I'm getting older and my joints are worn out it's another story. Again, nice work!

Yep I know the feeling - pretty glad to have an indoor job most days.

When the wind chill is 40 below it's pretty nice in class - lol.

But I still stand at the window and look outside during the day - miss the outdoors :)

Summers are spent carpentry/construction, dump truck, welding, mechanic work - whatever I can get until school starts again.

My coworker joked that we have a teaching crew of construction guys who happen to teach in the winter :D
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

electrode wrote:I used to live in Wisconsin, was born and raised there, so I know about cold and wind chills. I remember working on my snowmobile in the garage in 20 or 30 below weather with a blizzard outside. The Kerosene heater was not even helping and the gloves had to come off to work the tools better. I do miss snowmobiling and ice fishing though. :D

p.s. Great job on the repair!

I did the same at my dad's back in the 70's/80's.
As soon as I got out of the military and bought my own place I made a heated shop a priority - something wrong with working inside and still freezing to death - lol.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Great job Dave and thanks for sharing your thoughts on coping with working in the cold.

I must be a total wuss...it never gets below about 2 degrees C here even in the middle of winter but even at 5 degrees C I start finding excuses not to go out and work in the shed unless I can use the heater.

Mind you, I grew up in the outback so I cope with heat pretty well. Apart from sweat getting in your eyes, I find that when the temps climb into the 38-45 degrees C range I just wear lighter clothes and drink a lot of water and I cope fine.

Still can't imagine lying in the snow to weld though!

MosquitoMoto wrote:Great job Dave and thanks for sharing your thoughts on coping with working in the cold.

I must be a total wuss...it never gets below about 2 degrees C here even in the middle of winter but even at 5 degrees C I start finding excuses not to go out and work in the shed unless I can use the heater.

Mind you, I grew up in the outback so I cope with heat pretty well. Apart from sweat getting in your eyes, I find that when the temps climb into the 38-45 degrees C range I just wear lighter clothes and drink a lot of water and I cope fine.

Still can't imagine lying in the snow to weld though!
You guys get some pretty wild heat compared to here - we top out around 35 C. I like shade at those temps :)

Laying in snow isn't too bad if dressed for it. If it's going to be a long time, a piece of plywood helps keep it from melting and soaking into your clothes. Wet clothes in extreme cold is really awful.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc