What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

jroark wrote:$75 an hour is pretty cheap! I heard the place I work charges somewhere in the vacinity of $200 an hour. That what I used as a guide but I would have definitely went with a $75 rate.
Wow, that seems high. One of the more expensive places here is still at $100 per hour.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

That's what our laser operator told me but he could be off. I'm in NC too but not sure if that means anything either.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

jroark wrote:$75 an hour is pretty cheap! I heard the place I work charges somewhere in the vacinity of $200 an hour. That what I used as a guide but I would have definitely went with a $75 rate.
$200 sounds high to me as well. I'm in Central California and $90 to $100 is the going rate for an independent certified welder, big shops will get up to $120.
It can work to your benefit to come up with a price per linear foot for railing work, that way you don't give the customer sticker shock with a $/hr rate that they are not used to hearing, they don't have to know that you made $150/hour building their railing, they just know it cost $60/foot.
jroark

Ray that's a good point. I worked in a rail shop for a few years but never got to the pricing end of business. So far I haven't built a lot of rails independently but still a good idea.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Regardless of what you charge for it it's a hell of a nice job. Hats off 8-)

Thirty-some-odd years ago, I worked at a custom boatyard that built pontoon houseboats. Deck rail was an option. We had a price/foot. I don't remember what it was, but considering that we could build a 20' length of rail in less than 20 minutes, including cutting the pickets...it was definitely a moneymaker. And nobody ever grumbled about the cost.
Miller Bobcat 225
Tweco Fabricator 211i
AHP AlphaTIG 200x
Lincoln SP-135+
Hypertherm Powermax 30 Air
ProStar O/A torch
jroark

I've got a friend that recently went out on his own just doing railing. He subs it from other companies that need to move on to other jobs and don't want to mess with it. He's really doing great and he only works for a couple companies right now. My area has a lot of rail shops but it seems like most times there's plenty of work for everybody. Thanks again for the compliments.
Rudy Ray
    Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:36 pm

jroark wrote:That's what our laser operator told me but he could be off. I'm in NC too but not sure if that means anything either.
Yes, they do get $200/hour for laser work to pay for the machine and consumables, but for welders, no.
jroark

Yeah I figured that rate was for programming the design in and cutting consumables and everything else. At $200 an hour I still may have saved some. Or at least came out the same. Either way though I'm happy with the results and the customers were tickled to death.