What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm

Just an Idea some may find helpful. I put switches on my work lights that I use by the mill, the lights are cheap, made from aluminum, bright and their wire grills protect their glass lenses from being broken accidently. I think I paid something like 8 bucks a piece for the lights. I did replace their light tubes, from 300-watt they came with down to 100-watt because of heat.
Attachments
Mill.jpg
Mill.jpg (61.99 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
work lights.jpg
work lights.jpg (36.83 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Probably make a a good preheat area for thick aluminum. Keep your hands out of there or they will cook off.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Artie F. Emm
    Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:53 am

I've got some halogen lamps in the garage- in the summer with the doors open, bugs get in the garage, are attracted to the light, and get fried onto the halogen bulbs. Big bugs = big stink.

But I like your idea. Where are you getting lamps for $8?
Dave
aka "RTFM"

Artie F. Emm wrote:I've got some halogen lamps in the garage- in the summer with the doors open, bugs get in the garage, are attracted to the light, and get fried onto the halogen bulbs. Big bugs = big stink.

But I like your idea. Where are you getting lamps for $8?

Artie, I bought them a while ago, I can't remember, but I'm sure I got them from Amazon or Home Depot. The same light with rubber push on are more expensive, but I like these kinds of switches better, they're easier to flip on and off, change, and the heads stay adjusted when turning on an off.
Farmwelding

And with those switches you don't risk burning yourself on the metal every time you miss the rubber button.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:And with those switches you don't risk burning yourself on the metal every time you miss the rubber button.

That's right Farmwelding. I don't care for push on and off rubber button switches, they always seem to need a few pushes to get them to turn on or off, maybe more expensive ones would be less problematic. :lol:
Farmwelding

Use those pieces of garbage on the farm. Last time I was in the straw chopper on a combine. Light had to be right next to me. Every other second it was "Ahh" or "Damn." Or you'd turn them off and move them a minute later and burn yourself again cause they don't cool off and you forget how hot they are.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:Use those pieces of garbage on the farm. Last time I was in the straw chopper on a combine. Light had to be right next to me. Every other second it was "Ahh" or "Damn." Or you'd turn them off and move them a minute later and burn yourself again cause they don't cool off and you forget how hot they are.
True dat. :)
kblenker#22
    Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:23 pm

i had lights like those on my mill and was using some water based coolant and the cutter splashed some coolant on the glass and it pretty much exploded from the rapid cooling. so be careful if you use a heavy amount of coolant near them.

kblenker#22 wrote:i had lights like those on my mill and was using some water based coolant and the cutter splashed some coolant on the glass and it pretty much exploded from the rapid cooling. so be careful if you use a heavy amount of coolant near them.

Thanks Kblenker, that is some very valuable safety info, I appreciate you posting it. I use a mustard bottle to lube with, because I don't use my mill that often I've never invested in a lube system. Someday I would like to put one on it though. Thanks again.

Hopefully, mine are high enough I won't splash them. :)