It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:52 pm Advanced search

Pistol sight pusher

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Pistol sight pusher

Postby One of a kind » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 pm

The shop is closed for the winter so in order to keep my spirits up I'll post a sight pushing project I built couple years ago.

I needed to remove the rear sight on my Springfield pistol so I could install a laser, I didn't want to use the hammer and punch method to remove the factory sight for fear I may slip and ding the slide, so after studying pusher designs on the interweb I came up with a design of my own. The rear sight was a bear to push out like I had read it would be.

Instead of althread I chose to use a 1/2" hardened grade 8 or 10? flange stud for the threaded rod the brass sight pushing block travels along, and I'm glad I did, I don't think althread would have withstood the force needed to remove the factory installed sight.

The bushings I used were off the shelf, two 5/8 ID were silver soldered to the outside of the frame. The one 1/2" ID inside flange bushing centers the rod on the opposite side of the handle is threaded for the 1/2" stud. I bought the Springfield slide clamp from Brownells, it's for one of the sight pushers they sell.

The force necessary to remove the Springfield sight was so great, I need to reface the bottom surface of the brass handle, it was scarred a bit from being pulled through the hole in the frame. I don't think I'll have the same problem from other gun manufacturers sights.

In the end, I was able to remove the slide and install the laser without damaging the slide, so building the pusher and my hurting fingers from twisting the pushers handle was worth it. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the cheapies found on the web would break a factory installed Springfield sight loose.
Attachments
sight pusher 8.jpg
sight pusher 8.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 7.jpg
sight pusher 7.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 6.jpg
sight pusher 6.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 5.jpg
sight pusher 5.jpg (52.79 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 4.jpg
sight pusher 4.jpg (38.22 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 3.jpeg
sight pusher 3.jpeg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight Pusher 2.jpeg
sight Pusher 2.jpeg (31.23 KiB) Viewed 454 times
sight pusher 1.jpg
sight pusher 1.jpg (53.78 KiB) Viewed 454 times
One of a kind
Workhorse

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby WoodpeckerWelder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:44 am

Great piece of work. Nothing better than to see a need for a new tool for a specific purpose and to be able to build it yourself with the the end result being a task accomplished ! :D
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
WoodpeckerWelder
Workhorse

Postby One of a kind » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 pm

WoodpeckerWelder wrote:Great piece of work. Nothing better than to see a need for a new tool for a specific purpose and to be able to build it yourself with the end result being a task accomplished! :D

Woodpecker, I reach in my bag of failures and successes everytime I start a new project, nothing is lost if I fail, nothing is gained if I don't try. :)
One of a kind
Workhorse

Postby electrode » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm

One of a kind wrote:
WoodpeckerWelder wrote:Great piece of work. Nothing better than to see a need for a new tool for a specific purpose and to be able to build it yourself with the end result being a task accomplished! :D

Woodpecker, I reach in my bag of failures and successes everytime I start a new project, nothing is lost if I fail, nothing is gained if I don't try. :)

Great job on a useful tool if you do a lot of gun mods etc. I am still trying to figure out the best CC pistol and I really don't want to buy 20 of them to figure it out. Any tips?
That said...that's the right attitude. I know when I start a new (preferably small) project, I consider the first one the prototype and when it fails my perfectionist attitude I simply say "you have to start somewhere". :) Then I make a second one from what I learned from the first one and sometimes it fails too. The 3rd one is always the charm. :lol: But in some cases the first one turns out to be the best one. Go figure. :D
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby WoodpeckerWelder » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Woodpecker, I reach in my bag of failures and successes everytime I start a new project, nothing is lost if I fail, nothing is gained if I don't try. :)[/quote]

I think some of my best successes have come from me not knowing that something was supposed to be difficult and thus, not being scared to just do it. Of course there are the occasional spectacular failures, I just try not to screw up the same way twice :lol:
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
WoodpeckerWelder
Workhorse

Postby GreinTime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 pm

electrode wrote:
One of a kind wrote:

Great job on a useful tool if you do a lot of gun mods etc. I am still trying to figure out the best CC pistol and I really don't want to buy 20 of them to figure it out. Any tips?
That said...that's the right attitude. I know when I start a new (preferably small) project, I consider the first one the prototype and when it fails my perfectionist attitude I simply say "you have to start somewhere". :) Then I make a second one from what I learned from the first one and sometimes it fails too. The 3rd one is always the charm. :lol: But in some cases the first one turns out to be the best one. Go figure. :D

I have a Springfield XDM 9 3.8 compact that I love! I'm probably going to get a Sig P320 next though

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:04 pm

GreinTime wrote:I have a Springfield XDM 9 3.8 compact that I love! I'm probably going to get a Sig P320 next though

I like 9mm for the price and availability of ammo, but .380 and .40 are also options I consider. Any pro's/cons of these? Then there are the wheel guns and .357 and 45 and that is why I am still deciding. But that Springfield looks nice as does the Sig.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby GreinTime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:25 pm

electrode wrote:
GreinTime wrote:I have a Springfield XDM 9 3.8 compact that I love! I'm probably going to get a Sig P320 next though

I like 9mm for the price and availability of ammo, but .380 and .40 are also options I consider. Any pro's/cons of these? Then there are the wheel guns and .357 and 45 and that is why I am still deciding. But that Springfield looks nice as does the Sig.

I don't like the way 40 shoots, and 380 has never been a caliber we've owned! I think I'm the first with a 9, and it shoots like a dream. 40 is super snappy, and I don't really like shooting any of the 40 Cal handguns I've tried. I also have a 5" 1911 (shot my leg off with it) if I think things are going to really get serious!

I prefer 45 in a full size gun, and 9 in anything else I'd guess.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:49 pm

GreinTime wrote:
electrode wrote:

I don't like the way 40 shoots, and 380 has never been a caliber we've owned! I think I'm the first with a 9, and it shoots like a dream. 40 is super snappy, and I don't really like shooting any of the 40 Cal handguns I've tried. I also have a 5" 1911 (shot my leg off with it) if I think things are going to really get serious!

I prefer 45 in a full size gun, and 9 in anything else I'd guess.

Thanks for the tips and info and opinion on the calibers etc. Dumb question...how did you manage to shoot your leg off with the gun? I know it had to be an accident of one sort or another as the 1911 has about 3 safety's doesn't it? Not drinking and trying the quick draw McGraw I hope.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby GreinTime » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:17 pm

If a 1911 closes hard enough rechambering a round, or if you let the slide fly from wide open, it can 'trick' the firearm into firing by jarring hard enough to simulate a trigger pull if being held with the grip safety depressed. Typically, only after the main spring is worn out by firing a few thousand rounds through it.

Sober, sitting on my couch. Dropped the magazine out, racked the slide to clear the round in the chamber. Didn't notice the round didnt eject properly, let the slide fly and bang! Moved to see where the hole in the couch was, realized my leg wasn't working, found that my pant leg was wet from my knee to my ass in about 5 seconds. Took my belt off, tied a tourniquet as high in my groin as possible, threw my leg over the back of the couch, and called 911. Spent about 9 hours in surgery, where I ended up developing Compartment Syndrome after having blood flow restricted/stopped for so long, and had 2 12-16" incisions from the ball of my ankle to my knee. Tried to see if it would heal for 11 days, performed exploratory surgery and found that 95% of the muscle was dead/dying. I was presented with the choice of having the remove the muscle, and pin my ankle to my shin and my shin to my femur, or amputate. So I told them to amputate! Now I have a fancy prosthetic that BoostedGT from Street Outlaws has signed, as well as some pro drifters!

Shit happens to the best of us my man. I have my life to live, and this was a minor hiccup in the grand scheme of things I've seen happen to people in the short time I've been inhabiting this meat suit. I learned a lot about my friends, my family, and most importantly, my self. I was lucky enough to have my parents with me the entire 18 day stay in the hospital, and had the visitation rules bent every day when my friends would flock in en masse.

I owned my mistake, and am reminded every day that I put my prosthetic on that life will go on, as long as you are mentally equipped to embrace the ride.

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
GreinTime
Weldmonger

Next

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans