It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 pm Advanced search

Pistol sight pusher

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby electrode » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:33 am

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
GreinTime wrote:I hate the way Glocks shoot, I hate the way the trigger feels. The Springfield XDM has one of the best out of the box triggers of any handgun I've personally shot.

Glock vs everything else is going to be a debate that never dies. Ever. My best advice: find a gun store that has a range that allows you to rent a few different guns to try out. You'll never find the right gun for you based on Internet reviews alone most times.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk


Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing but it's nice to have some research first so I don't waste too much time testing. :lol: I see too many people buying new guns and selling them after a box of rounds shot through them and having a new favorite gun until that one goes for sale. I have had a few 32 S&W pistols as everyone wants to get rid of those due to hard to get expensive ammo. My wife has one now from the father in law. :D I have a nice Ruger Single-Six Convertible I bought years ago and man did those go up in price. Good for plinkin' Thanks for the advice and I guess we better let the OP have his thread back now... :)

Nah...not yet :lol: I have a couple Glocks and when you get used to a crisp 1911 trigger, Glocks long pull/takeup and sudden break is hard to deal with but there is a reason that most of the countries LE departments use them. I don't have an argument one way or another on what anyone should own. It's like women, you need to try as many as you can to see what you really like until you find one that really "does it" for you. But you should also have a couple spares, just in case ;)


Ok, carry on. :D Glocks give you a few seconds to rethink what you are about to do. :P But like the OP says, once I get started I will probably become a collector like everyone else. Wish me luck.
electrode
Heavy Hitter
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby One of a kind » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:12 pm

Heres a gun rest project I built out of 3" square tube, 1" bar stock and 1" althread. I wanted something heavy and adjustable but $100 didn't buy much at the time. I went to my scraps garbage can and pulled out all the steel and althread I needed to build it.

This rest stays put and can adjust for forearms. I bought the rear stockholder from a company in Colorado, the company person I talked with said the US Army uses the same one.

I welded one 1" nut to the bottom of the top plate, tightened a jamb nut under it until all the slop was taken out of the thread and tacked the jamb nut to the welded nut. The adjustable height rest turns so smooth you would think the althread rod and nut were machined for each other.
Attachments
GUNREST 2.jpg
GUNREST 2.jpg (75.8 KiB) Viewed 78 times
GUNREST 1.jpg
GUNREST 1.jpg (29.6 KiB) Viewed 78 times
User avatar
One of a kind
Workhorse
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm
Location: North Central Indiana

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby electrode » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:41 pm

One of a kind wrote:Heres a gun rest project I built out of 3" square tube, 1" bar stock and 1" althread. I wanted something heavy and adjustable but $100 didn't buy much at the time. I went to my scraps garbage can and pulled out all the steel and althread I needed to build it.

This rest stays put and can adjust for forearms. I bought the rear stockholder from a company in Colorado, the company person I talked with said the US Army uses the same one.

I welded one 1" nut to the bottom of the top plate, tightened a jamb nut under it until all the slop was taken out of the thread and tacked the jamb nut to the welded nut. The adjustable height rest turns so smooth you would think the althread rod and nut were machined for each other.


Looks great. That square tubing is nice for all kinds of projects. I keep all of my scraps and dig through the bucket when I need something before I go cut new stock. Are those small machine leveling pads on the bottom? I need to make one of those. I usually just use the rice bags.
electrode
Heavy Hitter
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby One of a kind » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:00 pm

Ace yes, they are leveling pads. I bought them from ENCO, now MSC Industrial.com
User avatar
One of a kind
Workhorse
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm
Location: North Central Indiana

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby electrode » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:32 pm

One of a kind wrote:Ace yes, they are leveling pads. I bought them from ENCO, now MSC Industrial.com


I used the same levelers on my lathe only a much larger size also from ENCO. I sure wish ENCO was still ENCO as MSC just jacked all the prices and pretends everything is 40% off. I spent a lot of $$ at ENCO but none yet at MSC and probably won't.
electrode
Heavy Hitter
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby One of a kind » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:18 pm

electrode wrote:
One of a kind wrote:Ace yes, they are leveling pads. I bought them from ENCO, now MSC Industrial.com


I used the same levelers on my lathe only a much larger size also from ENCO. I sure wish ENCO was still ENCO as MSC just jacked all the prices and pretends everything is 40% off. I spent a lot of $$ at ENCO but none yet at MSC and probably won't.



Ace I really liked ENCO too, I wish they would come back, I never had one bad buying experience from them, and like you say they were fair with their pricing, especially the hot specials they ran. I bought my Rong Fu mill and all my tooling for it and my mini lathe from ENCO. MSC is to high priced for me, good people work there but they are strictly list price for the most part.
User avatar
One of a kind
Workhorse
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm
Location: North Central Indiana

Re: Pistol sight pusher

Postby LtBadd » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:54 pm

One of a kind wrote:
Ace I really liked ENCO too, I wish they would come back, I never had one bad buying experience from them, and like you say they were fair with their pricing, especially the hot specials they ran. I bought my Rong Fu mill and all my tooling for it and my mini lathe from ENCO. MSC is to high priced for me, good people work there but they are strictly list price for the most part.

For an individual yes, any company that does business with them had discounted pricing, ours was 20-30% depending on the item, also they have regular email discounts to take advantage of.
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Previous

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans