It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:51 pm Advanced search

Bucket Welding

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Bucket Welding

Postby Jacked800 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:00 pm

I seem to be getting more and more buckets in for repairs. Here's a 5 foot ditching bucket I put a new bottom in along with the wear bars.
I don't know if anyone else has experienced the same problem as I have with dirt between the layers that makes it impossible to weld, and didn't know if there was some solution or trick to help weld through the dirt. Not so much on this bucket but had a repair right after this bucket building up welds on the wear bars where they were cracked, or worn through. I cleaned everything I could get at but when I started welding (mig) I'd burn through the thin metal, hit dirt and made slag. I got it done after a while but looking for ideas that might make the next one go easier. THANKS Jack
Attachments
DSCF4011.JPG
DSCF4011.JPG (44.66 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Jacked800

Re: Bucket Welding

Postby Otto Nobedder » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 pm

My suggestion would be to drag that first pass through the dirt with either 6010/11 stick rod, or dual-shield flux core wire. Either will do wonders for separating the dirt from the metal. The dual-shield can be done "all the way out", where the 60xx would be a root only since you're going to want harder steel than 60XX. If you're on Instagram, check out @moserfab. He does these dirty repairs constantly.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Poland308 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:15 pm

3000 psi power washer and an extra $100 charge.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Poland308
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:My suggestion would be to drag that first pass through the dirt with either 6010/11 stick rod, or dual-shield flux core wire. Either will do wonders for separating the dirt from the metal. The dual-shield can be done "all the way out", where the 60xx would be a root only since you're going to want harder steel than 60XX. If you're on Instagram, check out @moserfab. He does these dirty repairs constantly.

Steve S

And if you are on instagram-moserfab will answer questions via DM. I've asked him a number of questions and he is very easy to talk to as well.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Jacked800 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks guys. Next time I'll try the 6011 and see how that works.
Jacked800

Postby LtBadd » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Oh...
From the post title I thought maybe this was a bucket list of things to weld before you die :lol:
Richard

Please Note: This item ships in 2 boxes. In some cases, carrier may deliver 1st box before the 2nd.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans