What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Nice older couple needed an antique sewing machine base repaired.
(Shipping company broke it and super-glued without telling them)

After standard google searching and watching Jody's brazing video with AC tig, and texts to friend Steve - I was ready.

Experimented with balance (on scrap) at 10, 9 and 8 on the syncro 350 set to 200 amps. Balance set to 8 was good. The upper 2 settings behaved strangely.

Running a linear regression puts that balance at 63.5% electrode negative.

Only took a few pics, it brazed very nicely after I learned how to see it wet out without actually puddling the cast.

This particular filler rod is ER-CuAl-A2
cast break.jpg
cast break.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Quick test on scrap to see how brazing works.
braze test.jpg
braze test.jpg (36.38 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Brazed a little on the front, clamped and ground the back deep.
clamped.jpg
clamped.jpg (42.35 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Starting the blending process.
back ground.jpg
back ground.jpg (42.13 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Start blending the front.
front ground1.jpg
front ground1.jpg (49.35 KiB) Viewed 2267 times
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

A little more blending.
front ground2.jpg
front ground2.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Blend and paint.
front ground3.jpg
front ground3.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Delivered and reassembled.
delivered.jpg
delivered.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
What I found when I researched A2 Alum.Bronze
A2 bronze.jpg
A2 bronze.jpg (56.13 KiB) Viewed 2261 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Great work Dave! I just repaired a cast hypoid gear on an 6 wheeled offroad vehicle and used ALBr and it worked awesome. Very handy stuff to have around. Again...really nice!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Nice job Dave, I'm sure the customer was happy.
Richard
Website

exnailpounder wrote:Great work Dave! I just repaired a cast hypoid gear on an 6 wheeled offroad vehicle and used ALBr and it worked awesome. Very handy stuff to have around. Again...really nice!
Jeff how would you compare the ALbrz to SilBrz for cast repair?
Richard
Website
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

I also have to say that looks fantastic. Good paint match too. Great work.

Thanks guys :D It was my first tig braze and was pretty interesting.
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That is absolutely beautiful!

I had the same sewing machine (probably, based on the cabinet), but it had been updated to electric in the 40's, so the treadle was just decoration. I actually bought it at a yard sale for $5. (The cabinet was in crappy condition.) Two hours with solvents, oil, and patience, and it sewed like a brand new machine.

Steve S

Otto Nobedder wrote:That is absolutely beautiful!

I had the same sewing machine (probably, based on the cabinet), but it had been updated to electric in the 40's, so the treadle was just decoration. I actually bought it at a yard sale for $5. (The cabinet was in crappy condition.) Two hours with solvents, oil, and patience, and it sewed like a brand new machine.

Steve S
Thanks Steve :D

My sewing machine is an old Swiss made Elna with fold down cabinet. Works very good. :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
exnailpounder

LtBadd wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Great work Dave! I just repaired a cast hypoid gear on an 6 wheeled offroad vehicle and used ALBr and it worked awesome. Very handy stuff to have around. Again...really nice!
Jeff how would you compare the ALbrz to SilBrz for cast repair?
I would say as far as brazing characteristics, there was no difference...both "welded" the same but I used ALBr on this repair because of the strength advantage. I bought some ALBr on a whim when I was at the welders candy store and was itching to try it. I have used SilBr with great results and no problems but I can definitely see the merit in using ALBr for certain things. What did you use on that lathe shipswheels again?

exnailpounder wrote: I would say as far as brazing characteristics, there was no difference...both "welded" the same but I used ALBr on this repair because of the strength advantage. I bought some ALBr on a whim when I was at the welders candy store and was itching to try it. I have used SilBr with great results and no problems but I can definitely see the merit in using ALBr for certain things. What did you use on that lathe shipswheels again?
per your recommendation it was SilBrz
Richard
Website
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Great job on both weld & finishing hope customer was impressed - quick question - why do you guys use aluminum bronze over " normal " nickel ? - I tried finding some here just to try but so far have not found any - I've always used nickel on cast where it can't be fusion welded with great results in terms of strength & machine ability - we do have bronze of that type in the UK but have only ever seen it in round bar & flat stock form - never welding rod.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

Man, your to good for your own good !!! that looks awesome.

creek
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

noddybrian wrote:Great job on both weld & finishing hope customer was impressed - quick question - why do you guys use aluminum bronze over " normal " nickel ? - I tried finding some here just to try but so far have not found any - I've always used nickel on cast where it can't be fusion welded with great results in terms of strength & machine ability - we do have bronze of that type in the UK but have only ever seen it in round bar & flat stock form - never welding rod.
If I remember correctly, a lot of times bronze is used because it doesn't have any cracking issues like nickel does. A lot of times it is a last resort if your nickel welds have failed and cracked.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

noddybrian wrote:Great job on both weld & finishing hope customer was impressed - quick question - why do you guys use aluminum bronze over " normal " nickel ? - I tried finding some here just to try but so far have not found any - I've always used nickel on cast where it can't be fusion welded with great results in terms of strength & machine ability - we do have bronze of that type in the UK but have only ever seen it in round bar & flat stock form - never welding rod.
Like normal, the customer said "that's looks great" and then really didn't look at it again.
I guess people who don't do metal work don't realize it's often difficult to do 8-)

I can't say why others use it, I did a little reading and it had good qualities while being easy to get - only about US-$15 per pound.

Nickel tig rod wasn't as easy to get so I just went with Al-Bronze-A2
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc

Granddaddy wrote:Man, your to good for your own good !!! that looks awesome.

creek
Thanks granddaddy - love your signature line :D
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

It's a shame when people don't appreciate the effort & attention to detail involved in repairs such as yours - at least you get professional pride in a job well done - funny on the rods - over here nickel has been used for as long as I can remember & is easy to get & not too expensive - aluminum bronze is unheard of - last time I asked I got " that look " much like when I asked when 4943 might be available ! give it another 10 years or so people may have heard of it - we always seem a long way behind on welding related things.

noddybrian wrote:It's a shame when people don't appreciate the effort & attention to detail involved in repairs such as yours - at least you get professional pride in a job well done - funny on the rods - over here nickel has been used for as long as I can remember & is easy to get & not too expensive - aluminum bronze is unheard of - last time I asked I got " that look " much like when I asked when 4943 might be available ! give it another 10 years or so people may have heard of it - we always seem a long way behind on welding related things.
I should be more specific - the stick welding rods, nickel 99 and 55, are easily found at the local hardware store.

They are common enough that they're sitting on the open shelf so a person can buy a handful by the pound like the other rods.

Some people have said that knocking off the flux makes them a tig rod - but I have no first-hand experience with that, so I decided against trying it for a customer project.

Alum.Bronze tig rod was listed to work so I figured that way was the safest route. :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
exnailpounder

noddybrian wrote:It's a shame when people don't appreciate the effort & attention to detail involved in repairs such as yours - at least you get professional pride in a job well done - funny on the rods - over here nickel has been used for as long as I can remember & is easy to get & not too expensive - aluminum bronze is unheard of - last time I asked I got " that look " much like when I asked when 4943 might be available ! give it another 10 years or so people may have heard of it - we always seem a long way behind on welding related things.
I got "that look" when I asked for 4943 at a new LWS about 2 weeks ago.. The wise guy salesman said there is no such thing and kind of smiled. There was another guy standing in line next to me who told the guy he was wrong and told me about another store about 3 miles away that had it so I walked out and went to the other store and got it. 8-) Gosh that felt good.

exnailpounder wrote:
I got "that look" when I asked for 4943 at a new LWS about 2 weeks ago.. The wise guy salesman said there is no such thing and kind of smiled. There was another guy standing in line next to me who told the guy he was wrong and told me about another store about 3 miles away that had it so I walked out and went to the other store and got it. 8-) Gosh that felt good.
I hear you - I had to explain 4943 to the guys at my local store too.

They are pretty nice to me though and assumed I might know what I was saying :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

I read on here recently that Bakers Welding and Gas had great prices on tig filler (I think they were discussing 4943) so I called them about some aluminum bronze A2 (ALBA2) for a price on 10 pounds as they only have 1 lb tubes shown. He said just order 10 and we will ship it in a 10 lb box. :lol: So I asked what the price would be and he said the $21.00 per lb times 10. :roll: So I guess they are not the best place to buy ALBA2 but they beat out of AirGas at $239 for 10 pounds. :o And Fastenal has it for $275 for 10 pounds. :roll: I already have a box of 3/32 but wanted to get some 1/16 and that leads me to ask why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)

electrode wrote:why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)
Well 10 lbs is 10lbs, the smaller diameter wire is more expensive to make, I priced .030" 316L recently it was $12.90 and .035" was $8.82 per lb
Richard
Website
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)
Well 10 lbs is 10lbs, the smaller diameter wire is more expensive to make, I priced .030" 316L recently it was $12.90 and .035" was $8.82 per lb
Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.
exnailpounder

You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:

electrode wrote:Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.
I don't recall ever seeing .035" and smaller wire stamped, could be wrong about that, either they're flagged tagged or just not marked.
At an aerospace shop I worked many years ago the wire was colored coded to the customer spec.
Richard
Website