It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:53 am Advanced search

Cast iron tig braze - aluminum bronze

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Re: Cast iron tig braze - aluminum bronze

Postby electrode » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 am

I read on here recently that Bakers Welding and Gas had great prices on tig filler (I think they were discussing 4943) so I called them about some aluminum bronze A2 (ALBA2) for a price on 10 pounds as they only have 1 lb tubes shown. He said just order 10 and we will ship it in a 10 lb box. :lol: So I asked what the price would be and he said the $21.00 per lb times 10. :roll: So I guess they are not the best place to buy ALBA2 but they beat out of AirGas at $239 for 10 pounds. :o And Fastenal has it for $275 for 10 pounds. :roll: I already have a box of 3/32 but wanted to get some 1/16 and that leads me to ask why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby LtBadd » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:32 pm

electrode wrote:why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)

Well 10 lbs is 10lbs, the smaller diameter wire is more expensive to make, I priced .030" 316L recently it was $12.90 and .035" was $8.82 per lb
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:42 pm

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:why is 1/16 always (or most always) more expensive than 3/32 or 1/8 for 10 pounds? I guess it's because you get more rods. :lol:
Thanks ;)

Well 10 lbs is 10lbs, the smaller diameter wire is more expensive to make, I priced .030" 316L recently it was $12.90 and .035" was $8.82 per lb

Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby exnailpounder » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:42 pm

You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby LtBadd » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:57 pm

electrode wrote:Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.

I don't recall ever seeing .035" and smaller wire stamped, could be wrong about that, either they're flagged tagged or just not marked.
At an aerospace shop I worked many years ago the wire was colored coded to the customer spec.
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
LtBadd
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 am

exnailpounder wrote:You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:

I always buy 10 pounds of everything except one time I split a box of SMW with a friend. :D It's cheaper that way in the long run and I always use it for something. But I am kind of a hoarder too. :lol:
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby electrode » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 am

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:Well I knew there must have been a reason...I guess cutting a bunch more and stamping them etc must cost a little more. Anyhow, I scored and got 10 pounds 1/16 ALBA2 for $123 cause I found a 10% coupon in my mail from October and it was still valid from Weldfabulous.

I don't recall ever seeing .035" and smaller wire stamped, could be wrong about that, either they're flagged tagged or just not marked.
At an aerospace shop I worked many years ago the wire was colored coded to the customer spec.

You may be correct. I think I only have filler down to .045 and maybe one tube of .035 probably in stainless but I would have to look (which I will and update later). ;)

edit: Update. I have a couple 0.45 and .035 fillers and there is nor markings that I could see at least not without a microscope. :P
Last edited by electrode on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:25 am

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:You must have alot of brazing to do or is it for your collection?...I mean hoard :lol:

I always buy 10 pounds of everything except one time I split a box of SMW with a friend. :D It's cheaper that way in the long run and I always use it for something. But I am kind of a hoarder too. :lol:

:lol: I have slowly become a hoarder. There are a couple really awesome LWS north of me and when I go there and walk around, I get the "I wants" really bad. Who needs 5 different pairs of tig gloves? I guess I do now. Who needs 5 different kinds of tungsten, in 3 different sizes and the gas lens' and collets to go with 'em? I needed Inconel filler rod like I needed a hole in the head but I have it now. Never know when the refinery will call and ask me to come out and weld some pipe in the Alky. God we're sick :lol:
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby electrode » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:49 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:

:lol: I have slowly become a hoarder. There are a couple really awesome LWS north of me and when I go there and walk around, I get the "I wants" really bad. Who needs 5 different pairs of tig gloves? I guess I do now. Who needs 5 different kinds of tungsten, in 3 different sizes and the gas lens' and collets to go with 'em? I needed Inconel filler rod like I needed a hole in the head but I have it now. Never know when the refinery will call and ask me to come out and weld some pipe in the Alky. God we're sick :lol:

I don't have any Inconel...yet! I have different tungsten but mainly 2% Lanthanated but in many sizes. Only one kind of glove but 5 pairs. :D Lots of collets and gas lenses and cups. But I was one of nine kids and we watched our Dad bring home the groceries we learned what hoarding was. Except he did it every week and we ate it all so he had to do it over and over again. :D
electrode
Heavy Hitter

Postby exnailpounder » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Inconel is supposed to be awesome for welding cast. I wouldn't know because I usually use SilBr and normally I turn down cast repairs because everyone wants a guaranty and I won't on cast. I guess I need to go break something made from cast and see what all the fuss is about :lol:
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans