What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
JESPOKER4FUN
    Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Well they say a person has to start somewhere. I decided to build me a stand for my 10" drill press. It is not quite finished yet but I wanted to share it here.
I used some free scrap metal that I had laying around. It will have two swivel castors in the front and 2 small wheels on a welded axle in the rear.
I am going to cut out a section in the front for a handle.
The electrode I used was 1/8" 6013 and my machine set @ 80 amps. I ended up blowing through in some spots at the edge of the tubing.
I have included a picture of two welds = 1 weld is horrible and the other is acceptable. Not sure what I did wrong so maybe you can help.

Please, let me have it = Any suggestions/comments are needed. Thanks

Jesse
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Thumbs up for your first project. It works and you're happy, thats all that matters.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
homeboy
    Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Looks sturdy and the weld looks not too bad but I'am no expert because I haven't used stick for many years. One thing I would suggest is to securely clamp or bolt the drill to the base and test how stable it is. Most of the weight will be in the drill head which make it top heavy even without whatever stock you are using on the table. Any equipment that takes less than a real good shove to topple is a potential danger in my mind. Just a thought. :!: :ugeek:
Tom Osselton
    Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:33 am

I'd be wary of the center of g being about 3" from the rear, when it is 5 - 6 feet tall it doesn't take much to pass the center of g.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

If you have tip over problems just weld a tray in the bottom and stick some old weights from your barbells in it. :D Or eld a round bar across the correct place down there and add weights just like you would put them on a bar bell or a dumbbell. Good job for a first project.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

I like it !!
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
Jim FLinchbaugh
    Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:56 pm

I have a Delta brand drill press that looks identical to that one.
I've been beating the hell out of it for 13 years and it just keeps on going.
Best 100$ tool I ever bought. Nice stand!
JESPOKER4FUN
    Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:47 pm

All painted, got the rear axle and wheels on, added rubber stoppers to the front. Now it leans slightly forward to eliminate the worries of it tipping over in any direction. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

NIce work! It's very handy to have things on wheels.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
ex framie
    Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:09 am

Some 1/2 inch plate on the bottom will help with c of g issues, it also acts as a shelf for "stuff" and unfortunately a swarf catcher.
Nice first project.
Pete

God gave man 2 heads and only enough blood to run 1 at a time. Who said God didn't have a sense of humour.....