It is currently Mon May 22, 2017 11:14 pm Advanced search

Wheelchair shotgun mount...

What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?

Wheelchair shotgun mount...

Postby clavius » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm

This is one I started a little while ago when two of my sons decided they wanted to shoot on a trap team this summer. One of them usually uses a wheelchair due to a muscle condition that limits his endurance and typically shoots from his wheelchair. This is fine up until he has to move to the next shooting position (there are five stations on a trap field), and has to propel his chair with both hands with a shotgun laying across his lap. Even though the gun is not loaded at that point, swinging the muzzle of the gun around is distinctly not appreciated by your teammates and others in the area.

So we designed and made this custom wheelchair shotgun carrier. The top part drops in where there armrest typically goes and is 1" stainless tubing that I cut and welded to the angles needed. The U-shaped part is UHMW plastic with 1/4" steel rods securing it to the tube. The part that clamps on to lower frame of the chair is a re-purposed aluminum vacuum clamp (with a rubber liner to grip and not damage the finish on the chair) with a machined bar welded to it that holds a bit of PVC pipe with a cap to hold the shotgun muzzle.

My welds were less than beautiful, but strong and look great after a bit of work with the side grinder and some scotch-brite disks...

There are still a few of cosmetic improvements to be made, but this looks like a workable design. Looking forward to trying it out on the range once the weather improves a bit.

ImageImageImage
clavius
Workhorse

Re: Wheelchair shotgun mount...

Postby cj737 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:16 pm

Nice solution.

You'd have a more stable mount/rest if you moved the rear support under the wrist of the stock than just behind the trigger guard. The shotgun will bounce less too, and never directly onto the action that way.
cj737
Ace

Postby Farmwelding » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Nice idea and build.

It's ashame though... I read wheelchair shotgun mount and I immediately thought about some bracket in front that allows him to swing the gun around like on a bipod. Either way still a good idea.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby Otto Nobedder » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:34 pm

That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger

Postby Farmwelding » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:49 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S

What gun club might that be? I live like 20 min away from Delevan, depending on driver. Might know it/him. You never know in this small of a world.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything.
warning!! Bad English may be in post. It's off a phone/autocorrect. I've had teachers with worse spelling!
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Farmwelding
Weldmonger

Postby clavius » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S

Thanks, and yes that is exactly what it is, well, was. :) I figured anyone who worked around vacuum stuff at some point would recognize that. A bit of rubber fuel hose stuffed into the inner grove and it grips the 1" tube on the chair perfectly.
clavius
Workhorse

Postby noddybrian » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:49 am

Nice job but was kinda expecting some bad ass granny getting ready to defend her porch from bikers / terrorists / zombies ! looking at pics on very old small crap laptop trying to guess the gun - Berreta 390 maybe ? I had a 303 for years.
noddybrian
Weldmonger

Postby exnailpounder » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 am

Nice work! My hat is off to your son for staying in the game. Shooting sports are awesome and you meet some of the nicest people in that sport. Bravo to both of you!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby clavius » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:58 am

noddybrian wrote:Nice job but was kinda expecting some bad ass granny getting ready to defend her porch from bikers / terrorists / zombies ! looking at pics on very old small crap laptop trying to guess the gun - Berreta 390 maybe ? I had a 303 for years.

Indeed, but we will need to put off the fully articulated gun mount until summer! Maybe something you can aim at a target by looking at it. Hmmmm...

The gun is an old S&W model 1000. Great gun if a bit on the heavy side, but works great for trap shooting.
clavius
Workhorse

Postby clavius » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:03 am

exnailpounder wrote:Nice work! My hat is off to your son for staying in the game. Shooting sports are awesome and you meet some of the nicest people in that sport. Bravo to both of you!

Thank you. He is a great kid and does not let his medical issues limit much of what he does. He is somewhat new to trap, but is actually a quite good trap and action rifle shooter. He and his younger brother have the same condition though it affects them quite differently, so the younger guy can get by without the wheelchair at this point. They are two of the toughest people I've ever known, really.
clavius
Workhorse

Next

Return to Welding Projects - Welding project Ideas - Welding project plans