What welding projects are you working on? Are you proud of something you built?
How about posting some pics so other welders can get some ideas?
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

This is one I started a little while ago when two of my sons decided they wanted to shoot on a trap team this summer. One of them usually uses a wheelchair due to a muscle condition that limits his endurance and typically shoots from his wheelchair. This is fine up until he has to move to the next shooting position (there are five stations on a trap field), and has to propel his chair with both hands with a shotgun laying across his lap. Even though the gun is not loaded at that point, swinging the muzzle of the gun around is distinctly not appreciated by your teammates and others in the area.

So we designed and made this custom wheelchair shotgun carrier. The top part drops in where there armrest typically goes and is 1" stainless tubing that I cut and welded to the angles needed. The U-shaped part is UHMW plastic with 1/4" steel rods securing it to the tube. The part that clamps on to lower frame of the chair is a re-purposed aluminum vacuum clamp (with a rubber liner to grip and not damage the finish on the chair) with a machined bar welded to it that holds a bit of PVC pipe with a cap to hold the shotgun muzzle.

My welds were less than beautiful, but strong and look great after a bit of work with the side grinder and some scotch-brite disks...

There are still a few of cosmetic improvements to be made, but this looks like a workable design. Looking forward to trying it out on the range once the weather improves a bit.

ImageImageImage
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Nice solution.

You'd have a more stable mount/rest if you moved the rear support under the wrist of the stock than just behind the trigger guard. The shotgun will bounce less too, and never directly onto the action that way.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Nice idea and build.

It's ashame though... I read wheelchair shotgun mount and I immediately thought about some bracket in front that allows him to swing the gun around like on a bipod. Either way still a good idea.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S
What gun club might that be? I live like 20 min away from Delevan, depending on driver. Might know it/him. You never know in this small of a world.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
clavius

Otto Nobedder wrote:That vacuum clamp looks like a KF-25. Nice re-purpose, and nice project overall. My brother is a board member for a gun club near Delovan, WI, and I think I'll share your idea with him.

Steve S
Thanks, and yes that is exactly what it is, well, was. :) I figured anyone who worked around vacuum stuff at some point would recognize that. A bit of rubber fuel hose stuffed into the inner grove and it grips the 1" tube on the chair perfectly.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Nice job but was kinda expecting some bad ass granny getting ready to defend her porch from bikers / terrorists / zombies ! looking at pics on very old small crap laptop trying to guess the gun - Berreta 390 maybe ? I had a 303 for years.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nice work! My hat is off to your son for staying in the game. Shooting sports are awesome and you meet some of the nicest people in that sport. Bravo to both of you!
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
clavius

noddybrian wrote:Nice job but was kinda expecting some bad ass granny getting ready to defend her porch from bikers / terrorists / zombies ! looking at pics on very old small crap laptop trying to guess the gun - Berreta 390 maybe ? I had a 303 for years.

Indeed, but we will need to put off the fully articulated gun mount until summer! Maybe something you can aim at a target by looking at it. Hmmmm...

The gun is an old S&W model 1000. Great gun if a bit on the heavy side, but works great for trap shooting.
clavius

exnailpounder wrote:Nice work! My hat is off to your son for staying in the game. Shooting sports are awesome and you meet some of the nicest people in that sport. Bravo to both of you!
Thank you. He is a great kid and does not let his medical issues limit much of what he does. He is somewhat new to trap, but is actually a quite good trap and action rifle shooter. He and his younger brother have the same condition though it affects them quite differently, so the younger guy can get by without the wheelchair at this point. They are two of the toughest people I've ever known, really.
    Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

congrads on the design and build and 2 fine sons. in the 2cd pic is that an octagon barrel?? I am a fan of traditional black powder so I may be seeing what I want to see.

oops, meant 3rd pic but I answered my own question went I went back and looked again, I was seeing the rib.
the heck with the duty cycle on the welder, tell me about the duty cycle on that grinder !!
exnailpounder

clavius wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Nice work! My hat is off to your son for staying in the game. Shooting sports are awesome and you meet some of the nicest people in that sport. Bravo to both of you!
Thank you. He is a great kid and does not let his medical issues limit much of what he does. He is somewhat new to trap, but is actually a quite good trap and action rifle shooter. He and his younger brother have the same condition though it affects them quite differently, so the younger guy can get by without the wheelchair at this point. They are two of the toughest people I've ever known, really.
I have nothing but admiration for people who soldier through adversity. I know a guy who claims disability and drinks his checks away because of a lousy hip replacement and cries about it to anyone who will listen. Some people give up way too easy. Your sons are heros.
Farmwelding

Well Jeff, how can't you respect that. We go through adversity all the time ourselves. I was working on aluminum t-joints for over a year-finally got it today. Was teaching someone some tig today-about 20 welds in and said he wanted to try a t joint. Turned out worse than a pigeon taking a dump. I sat down with two minutes left and ran something nice as hell. Maybe I'll get pics later. What kind of people would we be without facing adversity. You can't be successful without pushing through problems.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:

Steve S
What gun club might that be? I live like 20 min away from Delevan, depending on driver. Might know it/him. You never know in this small of a world.
Y'know, I don't recall the name of the gun club, as he always calls it "the gun club" in his emails. We both spelled it wrong, it's Delavan. If you're that close, you'll likely know my brother's name from local politics, if not the gun club. John K. Finley.

Ring a bell?

Steve S

exnailpounder wrote: I have nothing but admiration for people who soldier through adversity. I know a guy who claims disability and drinks his checks away because of a lousy hip replacement and cries about it to anyone who will listen. Some people give up way too easy. Your sons are heros.
At the first sentence, I was thinking, "What choice to we have, but to soldier on? Then you answered that question. We can surrender to it, or, like this guy, collaborate with it. This has given him all the excuse he needs to drink when he wants to, and his "poor me" cries are him rationalizing his behavior to people who don't actually care, and in turn, justifying it to himself.

Think of our friend Sam, who blew his own damn leg off in a shooting accident. You don't see any negativity out of him. His posts always include the hashtag #oneleggedproblems, and he faces everything with enthusiasm, a smile, and a leg he can pull off and kick you in the ear with.

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: I have nothing but admiration for people who soldier through adversity. I know a guy who claims disability and drinks his checks away because of a lousy hip replacement and cries about it to anyone who will listen. Some people give up way too easy. Your sons are heros.
At the first sentence, I was thinking, "What choice to we have, but to soldier on? Then you answered that question. We can surrender to it, or, like this guy, collaborate with it. This has given him all the excuse he needs to drink when he wants to, and his "poor me" cries are him rationalizing his behavior to people who don't actually care, and in turn, justifying it to himself.

Think of our friend Sam, who blew his own damn leg off in a shooting accident. You don't see any negativity out of him. His posts always include the hashtag #oneleggedproblems, and he faces everything with enthusiasm, a smile, and a leg he can pull off and kick you in the ear with.

Steve S
Ya know Steve... I am fed up to the rim with people and their minor ailments who claim they can't work anymore. It's a total sore spot for me. Men act like men...through all adversity...and don't need an attaboy or someone to feel sorry for the m aka an enabler. I have worn out knees and a worn out back and a host of other physical problems and I get my ass up every day and go on. I'm sure there are others here that feel the same way. Does anyone else know somebody who just tucked-tail and run? Not me. I can't speak for anyone else.

Whether we were ever friends with them or not, we all know that one person who says, "You think YOUR back hurts..." like it's a competition. That guy can bite me. I said my back was sore. I earned that soreness. It might yet hurt in the morning, but my co-workers will see my usual smiling self and hear a joke, not a complaint.

Steve S
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

Good job building the shotgun mount for the young lad, we need more dads like you in this country and more young'uns who think like your sons.

As far as workin when your all banged up, most of us who are worth a nickel or 2 usually do at some point, some folks even continue to work into old age with a bunch of aches and pains...I work on occasion with an old bird from Mt Carmel, the only time he takes off is when its raining, some days it seems like the old guy cant move, but even though you csn see he is hurtin he gets a whole lot of work done when he is there, I hope I'm half that good at that age
Farmwelding

Well I'll tell you that all that matters is how you hurt yousrself. I burnt myself welding at 2000 degrees and my hand hirts like a biatch. Oh well my hand hurts because I was to lazy to move my hand from the door closing. Who really hurts-door guy because I can bounce back from it.

Jeff, I know those people every day. It's called public school. It's garbage everyday. I don't want to do that. Oh o hurt my leg at baseball yesterday so I'm slow today. Screw off. I burnt my arm yesterday and it smelled like mig welding for 3 hours and left a scar and was 3000 degrees. People give up after awhile because it is to difficult and no one is riding their butt 24/7. Oh I can't do problem one-can't do crap for the rest of it. This is why we need shop classes. Oh I can't lay a decent bead so I can't do vertical or overhead or I can't mig after 30 minutes so I can't do it. No-sit your butt down and run beads. This also requires shop teachers to tell people that they aren't doing a good job always.

So yeah-Jeff they are everywhere. You probably surround yourself with people that can get crap done.
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:Well I'll tell you that all that matters is how you hurt yousrself. I burnt myself welding at 2000 degrees and my hand hirts like a biatch. Oh well my hand hurts because I was to lazy to move my hand from the door closing. Who really hurts-door guy because I can bounce back from it.

Jeff, I know those people every day. It's called public school. It's garbage everyday. I don't want to do that. Oh o hurt my leg at baseball yesterday so I'm slow today. Screw off. I burnt my arm yesterday and it smelled like mig welding for 3 hours and left a scar and was 3000 degrees. People give up after awhile because it is to difficult and no one is riding their butt 24/7. Oh I can't do problem one-can't do crap for the rest of it. This is why we need shop classes. Oh I can't lay a decent bead so I can't do vertical or overhead or I can't mig after 30 minutes so I can't do it. No-sit your butt down and run beads. This also requires shop teachers to tell people that they aren't doing a good job always.

So yeah-Jeff they are everywhere. You probably surround yourself with people that can get crap done.
Nick..you're gonna do well in life because you realize that you can't make excuses for yourself everyday and expect that it's going to benefit you in any way. Your going to take beatings in your life..every one does. You can't get through life unscathed but you are wise beyond your years and that's going to take you far in life. Perhaps the best thing for you is listening to all of us hear,,,from all walks,,,and determining if this is the right path for you. I tell it like it is because I have been through the worst of the worst and I decided one day that my life matters and I am going to have fun for the rest of my days. If it pisses a few people off ...so be it..but life is short and precious and the only people that ever realize the finer things in life are either born privileged or get off their asses and go get it. I honestly have a special place in my heart for people who just shrug off their worldly problems and go on about life. The world is filled to the brim with self-entitled whiners that never amount to anything,,unless they become a "social worker" or a "community organizer" and I wouldn't want those things on my resume. Keep your eyes on the prize and you could be anything. I bet there isn't one old-timer here that wouldn't do things different if they could roll the clock back. You have what has passed alot of us up and you need to cherish that. All my bullshit and kidding aside...this is who I am and this is how I think...don't be a spectator of life...be a participant...and then when I'm long gone, you can come here and give the new litter their ration of shit. Rant over.
Popeye the old miner
    Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Well I'll tell you that all that matters is how you hurt yousrself. I burnt myself welding at 2000 degrees and my hand hirts like a biatch. Oh well my hand hurts because I was to lazy to move my hand from the door closing. Who really hurts-door guy because I can bounce back from it.

Nick..you're gonna do well in life because you realize that you can't make excuses for yourself everyday and expect that it's going to benefit you in any way. Your going to take beatings in your life..every one does. You can't get through life unscathed but you are wise beyond your years and that's going to take you far in life. Perhaps the best thing for you is listening to all of us hear,,,from all walks,,,and determining if this is the right path for you. I tell it like it is because I have been through the worst of the worst and I decided one day that my life matters and I am going to have fun for the rest of my days. If it pisses a few people off ...so be it..but life is short and precious and the only people that ever realize the finer things in life are either born privileged or get off their asses and go get it. I honestly have a special place in my heart for people who just shrug off their worldly problems and go on about life. The world is filled to the brim with self-entitled whiners that never amount to anything,,unless they become a "social worker" or a "community organizer" and I wouldn't want those things on my resume. Keep your eyes on the prize and you could be anything. I bet there isn't one old-timer here that wouldn't do things different if they could roll the clock back. You have what has passed alot of us up and you need to cherish that. All my bullshit and kidding aside...this is who I am and this is how I think...don't be a spectator of life...be a participant...and then when I'm long gone, you can come here and give the new litter their ration of shit. Rant over.
What you both said.....Best way to think and look at life...you gonna get shot at and hopefully it misses...you gonna get shit at and most likely get hit...take what comes at you and turn it into somethin good...farmhand your gonna go a long way...nailpounder the only thing I would have done difrent is never start smoking...dumbest thing anyone can start
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Interesting thread. I agree with everything said here so I will leave it at that. :D Now about that stump I have been trying to dig out for the last six months with a shovel...I finally called the guy with a machine. But I tried. ;)

electrode wrote:...Now about that stump I have been trying to dig out for the last six months...
You didn't consider explosives?

I would have. I have formulae.

Steve S
Farmwelding

Otto Nobedder wrote:
electrode wrote:...Now about that stump I have been trying to dig out for the last six months...

Steve S
Might be against local regulations. You know some cities must not like explosions going off. See where I live we are right next door to the city but we are ag land and township so we could shoot off a howitzer and no one can say anything. Provided we don't hit anything too important.
Nick

Farmwelding wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:

Steve S
Might be against local regulations. You know some cities must not like explosions going off. See where I live we are right next door to the city but we are ag land and township so we could shoot off a howitzer and no one can say anything. Provided we don't hit anything too important.
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Steve S